Chapter 9

Not long after Finn disembarked from the palace's hangar bay aboard the blue Republic Class X-wing Starfighter he received an incoming encrypted message through the ship's communications system

Not long after Finn disembarked from the palace's hangar bay aboard the blue Republic Class X-wing Starfighter he received an incoming encrypted message through the ship's communications system. Finn recognized the garbled voice as Fulcrum, whom he was supposed to meet in Hanna City, having dealt with the Resistance before in business practices. Praising the gods for finally enabling his luck for the better, Finn listened intently as he played the message over the starfighter's com system. The transmission recited a message, regarding all Resistance members to further their gatherings on the new planetary base of D'Qar, issuing a serial number of coordinates to the newly proclaimed location.

Without haste Finn plugged the coordinates into the ship's navigational com. Taking note that it was more than a five-day trip to the Outer Rim, he readied himself for the long flight ahead, only making necessary stops through passing worlds to eat before resting back in his seat through the long-distance jumps of hyperspace.

Upon his arrival on the lusciously rich in vegetation world of D'Qar, he discovered that the Resistance base had been built into the green hillside landscaping, making it all the more discrete aside from the scattered assortments of outdated Republic starfighters across the base: ranging from Republic Class A-wings to X-wings resembling the one he had arrived in. Taking the time to consider his whereabouts, the base was bustling in traffic with members coming and going among buildings in the vicinity.

Without a clue as to who he was supposed to find, Finn sighed out of frustration. With his hands on his hips, he watched the members travel across the base before deciding to approach whoever was willing enough to listen.

No one considered questioning who he was, nor did anyone seem to care or be bothered that he was asking their help for his friend. Apparently, in their eyes, there were far more imperative matters to attend to rather than listening to his desperate pleas. Finally, he came across a young woman, petite in size with russet brown hair pulled up in a ponytail: only to discover that her name was Jessika Pava and that she was Fulcrum. Her alias usage had been merely for her own safety when dealing with those who shared business transactions with the First Order, further ensuring her formal identity wouldn't fall into the wrong hands.

To his dismay, Finn was informed that the person who addressed such rescue operations wouldn't be arriving at the base for yet another day and that he was more than welcome to help out within the base until the General arrived. Seeing as he had no choice but to comply, Finn begrudgingly pulled his weight within the base, loading cargo into the starfighters as pilots came and went spaciously throughout the day. Even through the vivacious bustling of the short-term Resistance life, all Finn could think about was Rey and hoped to gods that she was safe and alive. Nausea occasionally crept its way into his stomach over the remembrance of him seeing her being whisked away by the monster that brutally held him captive.

Luckily staying busy had made the day pass by quickly before Jessika notified him that the General in question had arrived on base, and that she was at the ready to meet him. Now, he found himself sitting inside a tight-corner office, anxiously shaking hands in proper salutation with the woman known as General Leia Organa-Solo. Her smile was kind, with eyes wiser beyond her years but held sincere concern over his persistent means to see her.