Chapter 8

Aboard The Finalizer, General Hux found himself incessantly pacing across the narrow confines of his chambers

Aboard The Finalizer, General Hux found himself incessantly pacing across the narrow confines of his chambers. Clenching and unclenching his gloved, clammy hands at his sides, Hux's eyes persistently darted towards the digital numbers of the clock on the far wall within his quarters, signifying the slow passage of another cycle. He had been expecting a report from Captain Phasma at any moment, regarding the search and seizure of the scavenger girl from Jakku. For the past week, the Captain's continuous reports of failing her capture were rendering an extensive toll on his nerves. The initial report of Kylo Ren's interference provoked a surprising, yet forceful response from Supreme Leader Snoke; demanding that the General act on whatever he deemed necessary in order to successfully implement Rey's capture.

However, the calm before the storm was rapidly approaching its peak with the continuous failed reports of capturing the measly scavenger. Not only was Hux's life now being held on the line, but something else that he considered far more devastating to lose: the decline in his impeccable reputation as the merciless General of the First Order. His attention was immediately directed towards his desk as the holographic figure of the Captain materialized from the holopad.

"Captain Phasma," he acknowledged. His tone falling rigid with anticipation of hearing her report. Hux hoped that she would bear some good news. "What news do you bring me?"

"My sincerest apologies once again, General," Phasma reported with failure resonating through her distorted tone, "but the scavenger still remains nowhere to be found."

"Your continuous failure is emergently unacceptable, Captain." Hux snapped, heavily asserting the rashness he was no longer accepting her incessant unyielding reports.

"She is just one insignificant desert rat! How can it be so hard to find her?"

"I'm sorry General, but the girl is nowhere to be found," she retorted in vindication of her defense. "Our scanners have failed to pick up the tracker initially placed on the freighter she arrived on. No one has seen her or Ren in days."

Hux considered the captain's resignation momentarily before a palpable notion dawned on him. He knew the scavenger's counterpart, Finn, was a weakness to her high-spirited character. If they couldn't find her – then perhaps they could bring her to them. A smug grin rendered across his taut features at the realization of his newly discovered effectual plan.

"Pull the division out, Captain. I have a new mission for you."

------------------------------------

Drifting in and out of sleep, Rey could to see the early morning rays of sunlight sift through her eyelashes. Unwilling to bring herself from the slumber, she could sense the growing impatience of the figure lying with her. Making his presence known, he grazed his fingers over her left shoulder blade over the scars she had earned throughout her scavenging days. He paid each and every one of them attention, recalling her memories of how she'd received each, descending fallen ships in the Goazone Badlands; whether they be from losing her balance and falling against sharp, metal objects, or by being careless enough to miss her footing while rushing through the forage.