Chapter 14

No! No, no, no absolutely not!" Finn argued harshly

Rey sighed heavily; annoyed of the fact that, once again, Finn wasn't seeing the overall picture from her point-of-view. "There's no other way."

"I've let you be taken prisoner once before and we both know how that turned out but this – this is an entirely new level of crazy of its own."

Rey glowered back at him; taking offense to his accusation she crossed her arms over her chest. "And what is that supposed to mean – exactly?"

"Well, you did fall in love with the guy who held you captive." Finn added in stating the apparent outcome of Rey's prior capture. "So, you can't blame me for being a little cynical about this 'grand idea' of yours, Rey."

Rey eyed him incredulously. Raising her brow, she snorted at his nonsensical accusation. "First of all, that has to be the worst defensive accusation that I've ever heard; even from you. And secondly this is different..." her words trailed off in thought as her expression fell solemn. Holding his gaze with her own, Rey pressed on in hopes of getting Finn to see her reasoning. "Ben needs me, Finn. He's in pain. I felt it."

Finn snorted in disbelief, "No offense, but Ren seems like the type of guy that can handle himself pretty well. And what do you mean you felt it?"

Chewing her inner cheek in thought, Rey pondered over the simplest of terms that she could explain the connection between her and Kylo. But given the dire circumstances that they were currently under, she had to think of something quick. "I can't explain everything right now, Finn, and I will I promise. But this isn't some sort of juvenile infatuation; it's much deeper than that." She paused momentarily, pleading to him with her eyes with hope that he could understand her explanation. "We have a connection: a bond of sorts where I can feel how he feels. But to put it simply it's the same intuition that led me to you. I'm asking you to please trust me on this."

Finn regarded her words carefully. Rubbing his hand over his mouth he crossed his arms over his chest with a heavy sigh in defeat. "Alright; just tell me what you need me to do to help."

A grateful smile spread across her face before Rey threw her arms around his shoulders in thanks, taking the moment to briefly open herself up to The Force.

Closing her eyes, she stretched her senses out in search of Kylo's force signature: that powerful, blazing light emanating through shrouded darkness she had been irrevocably drawn towards since that evening of her initial arrival to the palace. Her heart ached for the sheer fact that she could feel his pain; whatever torment it was that he had been enduring this whole time since she had left.

Pressing her senses further towards him she found something buried deeply under his anguish that she had never discovered before within him: she felt hope. As if he had sensed her presence Kylo's voice resonated through her mind in that of a warning, but she couldn't overlook the unmistakable hint of his tendered affection for her.