Chapter 11

So much time had passed between Rey's arrival and when she'd been able to visit the palace's ballroom again

So much time had passed between Rey's arrival and when she'd been able to visit the palace's ballroom again. Recently her days consisted mainly of Force training and working idly in the hangar bay with Chewie for the sheer means of keeping herself useful. When there was any down time she habitually ran through her saber forms as well as perfecting her expertise in the Force. By the day's end she was more than ready to treat herself to a hot bath, maybe with a glass of Corellian wine as she occasionally did so to further soothe her nerves within the privacy of her own chambers. The following days were always a mere rinse and repeat of the aforementioned. However, today she made it an exception to visit the one room within the citadel she'd fallen in love with upon her initial stay.

The evening stars she had seen during her opening discovery of the ballroom had been replaced with the magnificent scenery of Chandrila's mountainous terrain. The radiance of the mid-day's sun shone through its windows as its light glimmered across the waxed marble flooring; nearly resembling that of winter's frozen lakes. Within the day's lighting Rey was able to make out the intricate, golden damask details in the tapestries that draped across the room's pillars that she neglected to see during her earlier evening visit.

Shifting her gaze around the room a large object sitting off in a corner, draped in a white sheet to further veil its identity caught her eye: something that had been previously hidden amidst the evening shadows. Her curiosity now piqued Rey ambled over towards it, taking a direct notice that it had been awhile since it was last uncovered; the thick layer of dust blanketing the sheet had been more than enough evidence of its neglect.

Coughing from the considerable puff of dust upon removing its covering, she waved a hand in front of her face to air out the dusty haze. Rey was surprised to see a beautiful, vintage harpsichord had been left sequestered underneath its blanketed veil. Its ivory keys were yellowed with age, running her fingers along their smooth surface – and applying just a slight amount of pressure to them - she marveled over the melodious tune each key made, gradually rising in pitch as she worked from one end to the other. Growing up on Jakku, she had never been fortunate enough to see such instrumentation outside of the music box and what she'd heard through holodisks – let alone being able to see and touch such a remarkable fixture.

"You should have seen this place when it was full of people – and music."

Startled by the unexpected company, Rey turned abruptly to see Kylo, joining her. "It was truly amazing when it was all lit up," he stated, a subtle hint of exulted pride and wonder resonated through his voice.

Mirroring his tone, a soft look of wonder sparkled through her eyes upon him at the description of the room in its prime. "I can't imagine it being any more beautiful than it is already," she uttered softly. Her attention returned briefly to the instrument's keys: running her fingers over them once more in thought before her eyes shifted back to him, cocking her head slightly in inquiry, "What was it like?"