Chapter 6

As a young boy, the rose gardens had been the only place that Prince Ben Solo felt he could go to completely conceal himself from the outside world

As a young boy, the rose gardens had been the only place that Prince Ben Solo felt he could go to completely conceal himself from the outside world. The peaceful enclosure of the gardens had been remote enough to obscure himself from the constant pressures of being born into royalty. And that, one day, the family legacy would eventually lie upon his shoulders as it was his duty to rule Chandrila in place of his mother and father when he would come of age.

Closing his eyes Kylo took himself back to those exact days when, compared to now, things had been much simpler terms. Long before he let the darkness swallow him whole.

Breathing in deep, shaking breaths he could still remember the sweet, floral aroma of the roses in springtime. Each one giving off a scent so soft it could have easily been missed; yet as a whole the garden's fragrance had been strong enough to the point where he could almost taste it. The bitter cold of winter tingling against his skin, a welcoming temporary distraction just to rid of the continuous turmoil in his head. Now all of those moments were merely memories and he would have given anything to, just for a second, feel the bitter cold of winter against his cheeks and taste that long forgotten aroma.

Blinking his eyes open, Kylo felt the all too familiar presence of Snoke slithering his way into his thoughts. Even as a child, no matter how many mental barriers Ben would build up Snoke always found a fault in his defenses to reach him, coaxing and grooming him with the initiative to fulfill his grandfather's legacy. Filling his head with the idea that sentiment had been his grandfather's undoing, and that by joining Snoke within the First Order would lead him on the path to fulfilling his destiny.

Under Snoke's tutelage, Ben had been certain that killing Han Solo would make this decision easier, that he would become the new Darth Vader and end his constant conflict between the dark and light within himself. Had he known then that the pull in his heart would have intensified, Ben never would have damned himself into becoming Kylo Ren, living a life alone and secluded in darkness.

That was until the girl, Rey, had appeared. Not only had the conflict of being pushed back towards the light intensified, but he found the darkness tugging back with a vengeance; internally he was literally being torn apart.

"You think she can break your torment?" Snoke rebuked his voice ever so calm yet hinting a sense of revulsion. "A girl who sacrificed her life for another man she cares for."

Ren scowled at the reminder of the thief she had so willingly traded her life to ensure his safety. "She means nothing to me," he sneered. Although deep down he knew the lie in his words, and with Snoke knowing his every thought, he too knew better as well.

"When I first found you, young Solo, I saw raw and untamed power, and beyond that something truly special," Snoke paused as if to further contemplate his thoughts. "However, I fear now that I was mistaken. You are no Vader - just a child trapped inside a mask," the severity in Snoke's tone stimulated Ren into seething at his mockery.