I laughed, an amused chuckle. "Since when, hmmm... since you decided to use your magic to torment innocent people."

"Oh, please." Slade retorted, rolling his eyes at me. "I beat the shit out of Tucker you didn't."

My mouth dropped open.

"You only care because of Audrey, because she came to the bonfire. Because you think, I was flirting with her. I heard it all from Karsen and Kidd, so you can sit there and deny it all you want, or you can tell me the truth." He leaned back in the chair, resting his hands on his stomach, pleased with himself.

I glared at him. His jaw flexed. I glared some more. "I don't need to explain myself to someone who doesn't care."

Slade stayed still, his eyes locking on mine. "I do care. Why would I come over here if I didn't care?"

I shrugged.

"Maybe you're the one who doesn't care." Slade told me. "Did you ever think of that?"

"No, I haven't thought about it. I was too busy feeling sorry for myself or whatever it is you think I have been doing. I don't like Audrey, just like I didn't like your dead girlfriend, Ezra."

"What do you want me to do about Audrey?" He sighed, shaking his head. "You're so complex and emotional. It's either all or nothing with you."

I was the one shaking my head now. How dare he tell me I was emotional? You didn't string girls along. Tell them how much you wanted them, take their virginity and then morph into an uncaring asshole and think it didn't matter.

Slade stood. "You aren't competing with her."

"Did you hear anything I just said?" I snapped. I crossed my arms. "It's not just about her. And don't pretend you don't see that she wants you."

Slade sighed. "So that automatically means I want her too, right?"

"I didn't say that. But can't you see why I would be insecure. You don't tell me how you feel about me. I don't even know what this thing between us is. Am I just a fling? Do you want to be with me? Do you even care?"

Slade came closer, his hand heading for my hair; I pulled away. "You're not going to touch me and think everything is going to be forgotten. You can either explain yourself or leave."

He sat back down. "Before I explain myself. Why don't you tell me what you have been doing while ignoring me?"

I huffed. My face grew warm at his accusations or insight. I wasn't sure which. For all I knew Karsen informed him of my attraction to Hutch. I was an honest person, I never felt like I needed to lie about anything. Why was it so hard to tell him the truth?

My knees started shake. My body was tingling and I couldn't breathe. "I ate lunch with someone." There. It wasn't a lie; I didn't have to explain the second encounter that ended with me being almost outed. I was a big girl. I could deal with that on my own.

He didn't react like I expected. He didn't react at all. "The guy on the beach I assume."

I stayed quiet. He already rolled a fiery log in Hutch's direction and beat up Tucker. I didn't want to give him reason to do anything on top of that. Would he?

He rolled over to me in my chair. He grabbed my face, refusing to let me look away. Pinning my legs pinned between his. I squeezed my hands together, waiting for whatever it was he was about to say to me. The close proximity made me feel intimidated.

His thumb stroked my cheek, calming my mind. Slade leaned in and planted a kiss on my lips, and the corner of my mouth. His fingers clamped tight to my chin. He pulled back, ending our kiss. "Do I care about you? Absolutely. Yeah, I don't say it as skillfully as other guys out there. But I do. I wouldn't come around if I didn't."