chapter seventeen

Pheobe, Sawyer, and Zachary sat quietly in Barbell's until Pheobe spoke up and broke the silence.

"Are you mad?" Pheobe asks Zachary.

"Mad? Why would I be mad?" Zachary asks and wraps an arm around Pheobe's shoulders pulling her into a side hug.

"Because I told Sawyer I love him." Pheobe mumbles. Zachary snickers and she looks up at him with a confused face.

Zachary turned to Sawyer - who had been playing on his phone- and tapped his shoulder. "Hey SawZaw." SawZaw had been one of Zachary many nicknames for Sawyer ever since they were little. The nickname started when Sawyer read his first true crime book and fell in love with the story, he ended up declaring the killer before the book did. Sawyer looked up.

"I love you man." Zachary couldn't help himself from laughing at Sawyer's reaction. "It's called Platonic love. Now, you two probably think I'm gay now? I'm not." Zachary laughs.

"I'm a bit confused but I'll let you to talk alone. I'm going on a walk." Sawyer says and walks out of the coffee shop still scrolling on his phone.

"I don't think we have anything else to talk about..." Pheobe shrugs.

"Yeah we-" Zachary stopped when he saw Sawyer running full speed back towards the shop. Sawyer burst through the door panting and his face bright red.

"Jacelyn was hit by a car!" Sawyer yells and Zachary immediately ran out of the shop with Pheobe behind him. Everyone in the shop stopped their personal conversation to go see what was happening. They didn't stop running until they found Andy sitting over Jacelyn limp body.

***

30 minutes earlier...

Andy and Jacelyn walked side by side talking about random things when Andy stopped suddenly. Jacelyn turned to him and he pulled her in by her hips and kissed her.

A man then walked past them and called, "Get a room!"

Andy pulled away and laughed and so did Jacelyn.

"Do you wanna go grab something to eat?" Jacelyn asks. "We didn't eat at the shop which I highly regret now." She laughed and so did Andy.

"Sure, I'll pay." Andy smiled and Jacelyn took hold of his hand and started walking backwards into the road and towards the restaurant across the street. The monitor had indeed told them it was okay to walk but in a blink of an eye a black Chevrolet took off full speed and slammed into Jacelyn. She was ripped from Andy's grasp. The vehicle didn't slow down it just kept going. An intentional hit and run had occurred right before his eyes. Andy ran towards Jacelyn's unconsious body and checked her pulse, it was there but barely. People ran out of their cars to check on her and Andy tried not to tear up. Then he heard people running, Andy looked over and saw Zachary, Sawyer, and Pheobe running towards them. Zachary made it to Jacelyn's side first and pulled her into his lap. Sawyer dialed 9-1-1 and Pheobe stood in shock beside Sawyer.

"What happened!?" Zachary yelled at Andy.

"I- we- I'm-" Andy couldn't make himself speak. Zachary checked the girl's pulse and squoze her hand as the police and ambulence arrived. Zachary was whispering his sister name over and over and his hands shook at his sides while Jacelyn was loaded into an ambulance.