chapter thirteen

Zachary woke up to the sound of someone knocking on his door. Pheobe was still sleeping soundly on Zachary's chest.

"Put your clothes on, I'm coming in!" It was Jacelyn. She walked into Zachary's room. "Mom told me to wake you or you'll be late for school. Tessa offered us a ride today."

"Tessa Mcminn?" Zachary asks

"Yeah. So wake up your girlfriend and get dressed." Jacelyn says and closes the door. Zachary looks over at Pheobe and smiles. She looked so peaceful. Zachary grabs his phone and quickly takes a photo of her. Then he finally decided to wake her up.

"Pheebs, wake up. We need to get to school." Zachary whispers. Pheobe groans.

"Can we lay here all day instead?" Pheobe mumbled without opening her eyes.

"Come on babe, get up." Zachary laughs and slides out from underneath her. She finally opens her eyes.

"Come back! You were warm, I'm freezing." Pheobe complains playfully.

"We are gonna be late." Zachary pulls off his shirt and puts on a clean one.

"Can I at least have your hoodie then?" Pheobe asks

Zachary laughs and takes his hoodie off the dresser and hands it to her. Pheobe sits up and pulls the hoodie over her head. Jacelyn's head peaked through the door.

"Mom left for work and Tessa's here. Hurry up!" Jacelyn says. Zachary and Pheobe follow Jacelyn outside and they saw a black Chevrolet sitting in their driveway. Zachary and Pheobe climbed in the back and Jacelyn got shotgun.

"So, how have you guys been? I haven't seen you in so long!" Tessa says excitedly. She sounded...okay. Like she'd just gotten home from college instead of a mental institution.

"Yeah, we're doing okay. How are you?" Jacelyn replies

"I've been okay. How about Sawyer? Does he ever talk about me?" Tessa asks

"Yeah, he talks about you quite a bit." Zachary answers

"Cool. I'll pick you guys up right here." Tessa says as they pull into the school parking lot. Pheobe, Zachary, and Jacelyn filed out of Tessa's car and made their way into the school.

"This feels weird without Sawyer. We've got a ride from his sister and he's not even here." Zachary says as they reach his locker. Jacelyn's locker was right beside his and Pheobe's was two lockers last Jacelyn's.

"Well, at least he'll be released tomorrow." Jacelyn says and twists he combinations into the lock.

"Hey! We should throw like a huge party for him!" Pheobe suggests enthusiastically.

"Great idea, but do we even have enough time to plan it?" Zachary asks

"Of course, we just have to invite people and buy some decorations. And we need a location." Jacelyn says

"Why don't we have it at Sawyer's house? I'm sure his family would be all for it." Zachary says, a grin creeped onto his face.

"Okay, and we just need to invite some people." Pheobe says eagerly

"Not many though, Sawyer doesn't like crowds." Zachary says. Then suddenly a boy walked past him struggling with his books and ran flat into Jacelyn, she fell and so did the boy.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" The boy asks but Jacelyn just stared at the boy. Everyone could practically see the hearts in her eyes. Zachary stepped in to save her sister from embarrassment.

"She's okay, just lost for words." Zachary says and pulled Jacelyn to her feet. The boy smiled.

"Are you two twins?" The boy asks

"Oh, you must be new. Yeah, we're the Brunette twins." Zachary answers.

"Yeah, my family just moved here. I'm Andy Attkins." The boy says. He had blonde hair and green eyes, he was quite handsome for a guy their age.

"Well, Andy Atkins you're brave. Moving to Eden at a time like this?" Zachary joked.

"What do you mean?" Andy asks

"You haven't heard?" Pheobe asks

"Heard what?" Andy asks

"There's a serial killer on the loose." Zachary says. "So much for a happy welcome."

"Oh, my parents don't research places much." Andy says calmly

"Well, you probably don't want to hang out with us while you're here." Jacelyn says.

"Why not? You guys seem cool, even though I don't know your names." Andy laughed.

"Oh, my bad. I'm Zachary Brunette, this is my sister Jacelyn, and my girlfriend Pheobe." Zachary says

"We are usually the targets for the murder. Like, Zachary and our friend, Lucy, were kidnapped by the killer." Pheobe blurts out, they felt okay sharing this with Andy even though they'd only met him a minute ago.

"So that's why your all bruised up?" Andy asks Zachary.

"Sadly yes, I wish these bruises had a bit more heroic reason." Zachary says

"Seriously Zachary? Those are the most heroic memories you have." Lucy's voice came from behind them. She walked up to Andy and shook his hand. "I'm Lucy Hunter."

"Andy Attkins." Andy smiled.

"I don't think tackling a guy is very heroic." Zachary says

"You've been reading the comments on your news report haven't you?" Lucy asks, Zachary just smiles guiltily.

"Okay, why is it so easy for girls to figure out what you've done? I need more guy friends." Zachary laughs.

"Oh! Lucy, we're throwing a party for Sawyer tomorrow and you should come!" Jacelyn says

"Who's Sawyer?" Andy asks

"That is a long long story and we need to get to class. So we can all talk about it at lunch. If you want to sit with us." Pheobe says.

"Yeah, I'll be there." Andy says with a big grin plastered on his face.