The long way home. (Still 17)

She hops in the passenger side hoping for a fun road trip, but if what I think is going to happen, nothing will be fun. She closes the car door gently, and doesn't say a thing. She reaches behind her, and slides her hand up to the seatbelt, then tugging it down towards the left side of her hip, clicking it in. She turns and meets my gaze.

She giggles and whispers,

"Why are you staring at me like that, babe?"

"'Babe?' You just called me 'babe', and ask why I'm staring at you like that?"

"I thought I'd try it out thanks for the support, babe." She smirks.

I turn back to myself and smile.

We finally get on the highway at about 2:30 in the morning and it's unusually packed. There are cars of all shapes and sizes scattered all across the stretch of highway. Lights penetrate the dreary fog that guards the road. The whole road is sparkling with blue and yellow light from the cars. Eventually the traffic fades, the lights grow further apart, and soon it's just me on the road.

Rhiannon breaks the silence. "What was with that traffic?"

"I don't know, maybe something crucial happened again with the nuclear threat. It's not news to my ears. As far as I'm concerned, the world has already ended."

Another long silence creeps it's way between us. I forgot to tell her though, I forgot to tell Rhiannon about my brother.

"Uhh, hey Rhi, remember my brother...?"