Twenty-Five

Baleigh's POV

1 hour earlier

The tiredness suddenly hit me when Nate and I walked around to the back of the mansion. My body was telling me to lay down and sleep for eternity. But my head was telling me to keep going. We reached the back of the house and found a rusty door up against the house. Kato came bounding behind and took a sniff at the door. He hissed, barring his teeth.

"This was the door you used to get out?" I asked Nate. He nodded.

"Yup. Made a run for it after I got out. This door leads to the lab underneath the house."

"A lab?" I took a small step back.

"Don't worry," Nate said. He bent his knees and picked up a lock that was placed around the handles. "Most of the people who work down there are on the left side of the lab. We won't be seeing much of them." He pulled out a small lock-pick kit and began picking the lock.

"That makes me feel much better," I mumbled sarcastically.

I heard a click and Nate pulled the chain off. He pulled one of the door handles. I jumped back as I heard the door make a loud creak as Nate swung the door open. Kato ran behind me as the door opened. He poked his head out and hissed.

"Shh!" I whispered to the cat. Kato stopped hissing and instead glared.

Nate motioned for me to follow as he slipped through the small opening. I looked behind me before following him. Kato wouldn't be more than a foot away from me.

Stone steps came from the door and led us down to a long white hallway. Doors covered the walls. All of the doors were made of some sort of metal. A few signs were placed on them to indicate what they were. Bright lights hung from the ceiling. The tile was a smooth white. Kato took a few steps ahead of me. The claws on his paws made clicking sounds on the tile. I quickly picked him up.

"Sorry, bud. Your feet make too much noise." Kato looked at me for a few seconds. He turned his head back around. I could tell he was upset.

"Shh." Nate put his finger to his lips. "Less talking. More walking." He walked down the hall, keeping his feet light.

I held Kato close to my chest as I followed Nate down the hall. I didn't ask any questions. Surprisingly, Kato didn't squirm or hiss. Sometimes I think he's a mutant cat.

We made a turn to the left. Somehow, I lost footing and tripped. I caught myself before I face planted the ground.

"You okay?" Nate asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Just lost my footing. I'll be fine." Kato squirmed a little. He seemed like he wanted to run off. I pulled his close. "Stop moving." He stopped, but I could tell he wanted me to let him go.

We continued walking. I noticed a small broom closet over to my left. I looked at it as we walked past it. Something felt odd about the closet. I shrugged the feeling off and caught up with Nate.

After walking for another 10 minutes, we finally reached what looked to be a hallway of cells. All were closed, except for one.

"This was Collin's cell." Nate walked in and pulled out a chain and lock.

"Did he escape?" I asked.

"I hope so," Nate said. "Unless they transferred him."

"Transferred him?"

"Sorry." Nate put the chain and lock down. "Escaping sounds better."

"I hope that's what happened." I looked around, hoping to see Collin come running down the whall toward us. I slumped my shoulders when I realized he wouldn't be coming.