Truth and Heartfelt Lies

Start from the beginning

"Never been better actually," he responds.

I just playfully laugh and step towards the water, sinking into it one stair at a time.

I sigh as the warm liquid engulfs me like a much needed hug.

My hair floats in little spirals as it gets lowered into the water, but I don't go all of the way under, sparing my face from a mascara water fall.

"You going to get in or what?" I call back to Michael who can't seem to take his eyes off of me. I feel my insides burn with womanly confidence and I can't help but wish Thomas could see me in this bikini.

Michael stands up and pulls his shirt over his head, exposing his drop dead gorgeous body.

Poor Gabbie really didn't stand a chance, did she?

I hopelessly stare at Michael as he gets into the pool, walking straight towards me with a mischievous grin on his lips.

He closes the distance between us then lifts me onto his shoulders effortlessly.

"Hey put me down!" I shriek but Michael just laughs and holds on tighter.

"Hey Isaac, Kim, up for a game of chicken?"

"Hell Yeah!" They agree and I'm suddenly in a battle to the death with Kim as she's perched on Isaacs shoulders. I know that if my head sinks into the water I'll look like a cheap hooker after a money shot so I have to play hard.

Kim clasps my shoulders with her small hands and tries to shove me off but I take the low road and start tickling her instead.

In a fit of laughter, she falls right off into the water, coughing as she resurfaces.

"That was cheap, Sophie, but I respect you for it."

We all talk for a while and I start to think I've made a new friend. Kim is a very petite girl with brown hair and a lot of freckles. She wants to be a technical writer when she graduates which sounds boring to me but someone has to do it.

After a little while the crowd settles down and people go off into their own cliques to just relax and unwind.

Michael pulls me through the water to an edge where we can sit and talk, his eyes never leaving mine.

How can he be so good at making girls feel special? It's like an art form.

"Are you having fun?" He asks me and I smile in earnest.

"I'm having a lot of fun, thank you, I probably wouldn't have agreed to come if you weren't here."

I'm not what people would call 'good at socializing'.

"Of course, I'm always down for a party." Michael says.

"I know we have our differences Sophia, but I think that's a good thing. You need to get out more and I need to chill more. We balance each other out."

I twirl a piece of damp hair between my fingers and nod. "Perhaps you're right."

"Can we go upstairs and talk?" Michael says after a few moments of relaxing silence.

I'm hesitant at first.

"Aren't we already talking?" I ask, trying not to sound too rude.

"I want to talk about what we talked about earlier. Away from prying eyes."

I think for a moment about what the worse thing is that could happen.

I'm completely sober so I don't really see any harm in it, after all we've been sitting here turning to prunes for a while now.