Lesson 5

Cerise's foolproof, absolutely sure and successful business meeting tactics:1

1. Always use a lead pencil. When the lead breaks, it may accidentally fly into a poor unsuspecting neighbour's eye. Bonus points for sitting next to someone you don't like!
2. To sound clever, always use at least two smart and intelligent adjectives, nouns or verbs.
3. Make sure you look neat and respectable and that your uniform is pressed and ironed.
4. When the topic is dull and boring, always remember to nod your head often and frequently respond when necessary.

 When the topic is dull and boring, always remember to nod your head often and frequently respond when necessary

"Cerise... I don't see why you're still angry." Sarah sighed, reaching to pat my shoulder. "The whole Brookfield fiasco happened yesterday. Besides, it was like one of those moral dilemmas. Do we sacrifice one person and save everyone or sacrifice everyone and everyone dies? Which of those options would you have chosen?"

Scoffing at these snakes, I turned away. Even though we infiltrated the enemies hideout yesterday, the fact that I was abandoned still stung. Then again, was I at fault? No. "Why am I always the sacrificial lamb?"

"Because you're the cutest," Lee-Min piped up. "You have your... ways."

"I narrowly made it out alive." I snapped as I skulked away. "Only because—" 

No. I paused. I don't even want to remember.

"Oh no," Lee-Min said, although her voice was flat as usual, "come back, we love you."

"Well, fine." I folded my arms and huffed, ambling back to Lee-Min and Sarah. "At least the secret mission was a success. I just hope I never see those annoying little shits ever again."

"I hope I do." With her hand over her chest, Sarah sighed. "Did you at least apologise to the hot guy? He was crying and whimpering after that kick. Poor guy, I still feel bad. I bet you, he needs someone to nurse him and maybe—"

"Remeber the two burly guys—what did they call themselves, again? The Booboo Brothers or something? The ones who wanted to beat me up? Yeah, they picked him up. He'll live." He probably won't be able to have children, but he'll live...

Sarah immediately closed her mouth.

"Anyway, where's Julia?" I scanned the courtyard. With school finished for the day, it was our ritual to check out local cafés. And I was hungry.