“Yup. Well, technically Nick and I are supposed to be sharing this car, but Ollie had his own so he usually drives Nick around everywhere. God, those two are practically glued to the hip,” he commented, shaking his head affectionately.

                I couldn’t help but allow a small smile to slip onto my face. He really cared for his brother, and it looked as if it was mutual. It was nice to see two siblings caring for each other so deeply.

                Dakota pulled out of the school parking lot, and it wasn’t long until he was parking in front of this quaint white house. It was probably only a ten to fifteen minute ride at most. During the ride, I had texted my mom that I was at a friend’s house for a while, and she seemed more than overjoyed at the news.

                Mom: Oh honey, that’s great! I’m so glad that you’re finally making friends!! It’s about time you stop moping around the house killing your hearing with those blasted headphones!!

                I rolled my eyes at her reply. I knew she didn’t like how loud I played my music, but even she knew how much I struggled sometimes.

                “Well, we’re here.” Dakota got out of his car, and I mimicked his actions. Then he spread his arms wide, a goofy smile on his face. “Welcome to the Kel’s residence.”

                I gave another light laugh. “Thanks, it’s good to be here.” I stood for a bit, just admiring how nice the house looked. The lawn was fairly green, a few leaves scattered here and there; a nice little flower garden in the front, stone path leading up to the house. The house was about two stories high, a dark blue roof covering the top.

                “Come on, don’t be shy! All are welcome,” Dakota said, moving behind me and ushering me forwards. When we reached the dark blue door, he dug in his pockets for his keys before unlocking it.

                As soon as I stepped inside, I was immediately greeted with a warm atmosphere, family photos covering the hall walls in front of us. I copied Dakota as he took his shoes off next to the door, where a pile of other shoes lay.

                He began to walk somewhere, and I followed, gazing at the photos as we passed. There were pictures of what looked like him and Nick when they were young, both dressed up for picture day I assume. Then it showed them gradually getting older, and there were a few with their parents and others showing what looked like family vacations.

                Just seeing the pictures brought a smile to my face. It reminded me of how my family and I used to be before I was diagnosed. We would always take yearly trips to someplace new, the last place being Puerto Rico. That was four years ago – before the signs began to show up.

                “My room is up here,” Dakota staid as he began to ascend the cream carpeted steps. I followed closely behind, admiring the simplicity of his house. It felt comfortable here, and I wasn’t as tense as I thought I’d be.

                We were passing a closed door when I heard the strangest noise.

                “Ughh Nick, yeah baby, right there! Go go go!” Someone moaned quite loudly, and I could feel myself freezing in my tracks. It was partly because of the shock and surprise, but also because I was kind of curious.

                Apparently Dakota heard it too, for he also paused mid-step. I could see him eying the door for a second before his face became bright red.