Volume 12

CHAPTER TWELVE
ABSENCE

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇─◇
'The strongest presence is so often an absence.'

    Days had passed

Days had passed. My mind often, very often, wandered to Sweet Pea. Half of me accepted the fact that he was done, whilst a big part of me wanted to keep fighting for him. But one valuable thing my mother taught me was to never try and save someone who didn't want to be saved. However, besides all the horrible issues I've faced, Brittany and I have grown very close. I might say that she is my first, ever female bestfriend.

"How are you holding up?" I asked her as we were on our way to school. She sighed nervously. "I confronted him." I stopped walking and glanced at her with great shock written all over my face. "Come again?!" She too stopped walking. "I'm really close with my dad, J. I couldn't keep it in and just pretend that nothing happened. He told me that he was sorry and he's gonna quit." She said as she started walking again, followed by me. "But.. you can't just quit a gang Brittany! If you join the Serpents, you're in it for life. What makes you think that a dangerous gang like them will let him step out with secrets that he knows of?" I asked with confusion seeping through my voice. "Because of love, Jimmy! He loves me. So I believe him when he says that he's stepping out."

I sighed. "I just don't want you get hurt, Britt. Did Lydia see you or Archie in her room?" She shook her head. "She only saw our backs. We were fast enough to get out of there before she could see anything." I sighed relieved. "Have you talked to Jughead? I tried to call him but he's isn't picking up." I asked. She frowned. "Hasn't he told you?" "Told me what?" "Southside High got raided a few days ago. Josie couldn't keep her mouth shut about what happened at Veronica's party. Mayor Mccoy was so pissed at the Serpents that she raided the school." "But why? Who said that the Serpents supplied the drug?"

She scoffed. "Isn't it obvious? Besides, they found weed and Jingle Jangle so they were right." "No! They didn't do it." She lifted her arms up in defense. "Calm down, Hulk. Why are you so defensive of them?" I sighed. "I was having something with one of them-" She squealed and cut me off. "Omg! Why didn't you tell me!? He's badass right? I'm mean.. he must be since he's a Serpent. Is he hot? Oh! Does he drive motor like the rest of them?!" She rambled. "We stopped dating. Or whatever it was between us.. it's over." Her shoulders dropped in disappointment. "Bummer." "Yeah.."

"Hey strangers." I greeted as I walked towards Archie, Veronica and Betty. "Hey. How are you feeling?" Betty asked. I shrugged. "I've been better but I've definitely been worse." "Just know that if you want to talk with us.. we're right here." Veronica said consolingly. I nodded and smiled. "Thank you guys."

—————- Ξ —————-

    As we sat in the student lounge, the telecom beeped. "Good morning, Riverdale students. I have some news. Southside High has been shut down," whispers erupted. "The students will be transported to other schools in the district. Including this one." Kevin's mouth fell agape. I too, couldn't believe that the Serpents were coming to the Northside. I could already imagine the drama it would start. "Finally. Some good looking bad boys in Riverdale High. I'm over these preppy nerds and jocks." Brittany stated. I laughed. She was always the type of girl to look for trouble. She looked over at me. Excitement and surprise filled her eyes. "That means.." "We don't know for sure! He may just go to another school."

"He will. You're just in denial. I really don't get why you stopped things with him." "He did." She pressed her lips together. "Oh."

"That means that Jughead is coming back!" Betty said as she beamed. I smiled, being genuinely happy for her. She and Jughead were soulmates. If I couldn't find love, watching their love blossom was enough for me. "I will be welcoming them. Who wants to join Veronica Lodge's welcoming committee?" She said as a big smile was plastered on her face. Some people got their kick from doing drugs, but for Veronica, helping people feel welcome was how she got hers. "Not me!" I said as I dragged Brittany out of the student lounge. "Let's do something fun at your house today. I really want to forget about everything that has been going on." She nodded. "I've got the perfect idea."

The bell rang, informing the students that the fifth period had started. The classroom started flooding with students. Mrs. Salvador started her Spanish lesson while I daydreamed about the boy who hurt me.

He ran his soft hand through her hair. "You're special, you know that, Jimmy?" The tanned girl looked up at him. "How come?" "You accepted me for who I am. That's more than I could ever ask for. I love you." She smiled at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. His hands dropped from her hair to her waist. "I love you too. I'll love you forever." He smiled as his focus was set on her rose colored lips. "Forever?" He asked playfully. She nodded with a smile on her lips. "Mhm.. forever," she placed a kiss on his lips. She pulled back. "And forever."

I tried so hard to get over him these past few days, it almost got to the point where it hurt, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't. He had left a permanent memory of him in my heart and mind. "Miss Campbell!" The stern voice of Mrs. Salvador broke my train of thoughts. "Would you mind to pay attention?!" I sighed. "Sorry."

How was I still giving him the power over my life while he clearly said that he didn't want to be with me?