Volume 4

CHAPTER FOUR
TRUST?

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇─◇

    "How are things going with the whole Peabody situation?" I asked Toni while we sat on the couch

"How are things going with the whole Peabody situation?" I asked Toni while we sat on the couch. "Tough. Penny isn't someone to back down easily but Sweet Pea and her have a very close relationship." I leaned further into the couch. "Why are they so close?" I asked with a hint of jealousy in my voice. Toni sipped on her beer. "Sweet Pea and his parents aren't on good terms — which he will tell you about, if he wants. Let's just say.. Peabody is always there for him and he always for her." I nodded. It was only my second day hanging out with the Serpents and to be honest.. they really aren't how us Northsiders portray them. Yes of course, in the beginning they were reluctant to hang out with a Northsider — which they actually still are.. but less and I've also spoken to some of them and they seemed cool.

"What are you guys talking about?" Sweet Pea asked as he sat on the couch on opposite of us. "Nothing just girl talk." I quickly answered. He squinted his eyes as a sign that he didn't believe me. "Fine we were talking about how I first got my p-" He quickly cut me off. "I don't want to hear it Rug-Rat." Toni chuckled. "I kind of like you Firecracker." She admitted. I raised my perfectly epilated eyebrow. "Firecracker?" "Yeah. You earned your name because of the first time you busted into Sweet Pea's trailer yelling," "Jughead f*cking Jones!" They both shouted. I rolled my eyes. "I normally don't cuss but I really hate waiting.." Toni checked her phone. "I have to go." I wanted to ask her where she was going but I didn't want her to think I was investigating her somehow. She stood up, nodded at me and left.

Sweet Pea also stood up. My face immediately fell. I thought that he was also leaving. He must've seen my disappointment because he walked towards me and seated himself next to me. "Don't worry Rug-Rat. I'm not leaving you." A small smile crept up on my face. "My name is Jimmy." "Oh. I remember your name perfectly." He stated while sipping on some vodka. "Why do you drink so much? It's really not good for you." "Because I like to. You worried or something?" "Yeah. I actually am." His head snapped back at me. Surprise was written all over his face. "What?" "You heard me. I'm worried about you."

He quickly stood up. "You can't be. You have to forget me. This is dangerous Jimmy." I stood up as well. "You can't forbid me to see you. I want to. So let me, Sweet Pea." He softly groped my chin. "I can't have you heartbroken. You're a sweet little girl that doesn't belong with Serpents. Go home Rug-Rat." His fingers disappeared from my chin. He then continued to walk away without looking back.

—————- Ξ —————-

    "I don't know what to do Betty. I mean, I like him even though I don't actually even know him yet." She gave me a comforting smile. "If you really like him and you want to be with him.. chase him. Make him see that you really care about him." I nodded. When I opened my mouth to say something, I was brutally interrupted by Betty's TV. "Oh my gosh.. there has been another murder." She said as she continued to increase her TV volume. I twisted my neck to see what she was talking about.

'Goodnight Riverdale. There has been another murder. But this time the victim was a Serpent. He was identified as Ryder "Little Man" Gibbson. The same cause of death occurred, (strangulation). Also, the same exact stab wounds were on the victim's body. Is this killer doing us a favor?'

My jaw fell to the floor. "Favor? Is she kidding me!?" Betty scoffed. "I can't believe Riverdale! What if it was Jughead!? I'm gonna see him." She said as she quickly slid into her brown boots. "I'm coming too."

"Juggie, are you okay?" She asked when we arrived. He nodded though you could see he was upset. They kissed each other followed by a hug. The third-wheeling feeling immediately crept up. Before I knew it, my feet were dragging me towards Sweet Pea's trailer. I knocked on the door a few times. Moments later, the door opened. He sighed and tried to shut the door. I again, placed my foot in the doorway, stopping the door from closing. "Don't make me cuss again, Sweet Pea." He sighed heavily and opened the door — giving me permission to enter. "What are you doing here Rug-Rat?" "I wanted to see how you were doing." "I'm fine can you leave now?" I searched in his eyes. Sadness was present.

"Was Little Man someone important to you?" He sighed and rubbed his face. "Please leave Jimmy before I say something I don't wanna say." I stepped closer to him. Our faces barely inches apart. I could feel his breath on my skin. "Why won't you let me be there for you? I want to help you." "I'm not some broken toy that you can fix. Leave!" I inhaled and exhaled. I slowly wrapped my arms around him. "I don't want to fix you, Sweet Pea. I want to be there for you. Be the shoulder for you to cry on." "I don't cry." "That was not what I saw, you were literally on the verge of tears just now." He chuckled. I felt his chest vibrate against mine. I'm quite tall for a girl. He towered over me by about 8 inches.

"What was Little Man to you?" I asked as I took a sip of the cold beverage he gave me earlier. "Man... he was like a little brother to me. We grew up together here. He was always so optimistic," He sighed. "They always take the good ones." The closer he approached the end of his sentence, the more his voice creaked. I placed my hand on his and gave it a soft squeeze. "It'll be okay. I know it will." He looked at our hands intertwined together with a small grin creeping up on his face before removing it from under my touch.