Volume 5

CHAPTER FIVE 
DEAD BODIES

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇─◇

    These past few days have really flown by

These past few days have really flown by. Sweet Pea and I haven't talked much since that night at his trailer. Riverdale High has lost its pep because Jughead is now attending Southside High. I dragged my feet across the school floor only to be ending up in the student lounge. I flopped in the couch and exhaled. "If I touch one more test, I will have a mental breakdown." They all chuckled. "Well well, Jimmy. Don't be so dramatic. We have two days left till the weekend." Veronica said in a motherly tone. "Speaking about weekends.. I'm hosting a party. My old friend from New York, Nick St. Clair, will be visiting me. You're all invited."

"As long as there's booze, I'm there." Reggie chimed while putting his arm around Josie's shoulder. She curled her lip in disgust and removed his arm. "For once.. I agree with Reggie. I can't wait to let loose." I said with longing noticeable in my voice. "You can let loose with me J." He smirked. "Shut it, Reginald."

Archie walked in and strode straight towards me. He gently grabbed my arm, dragging me with him. I received a jealous glare from Veronica and a confused one from Betty. "What's going on, Arch?" He pulled out his phone. "Look what Kev just sent me." A mutilated body appears on his screen. "Is that-" "Little Man — the Serpent that was murdered — yes. These are the same cuts. Now we know for sure that it was done by the same killer. I believe you now." A smile crept up on my face. "I know I was."

"You can see that the cuts were made by the same person, who was probably left handed given the place where the cuts were made on the body. Only this time, the pattern is different.." I study the picture. A dark theory came into my mind making me shiver. "Archie.. I think the killer is trying to tell us something."

—————- Ξ —————-

    A sigh escaped from my parted lips. "Guys.. this is only a quarter of the whole pattern. I can't just wait till he kills more gang members for me to get the whole pattern right. I can't." "Maybe they're creative and just craving random patterns on their bodies." Veronica suggested. I immediately shook my head. "This is too precise to be doing 'just random cravings'" The bell on the door at Pop's rang, making the presence of someone known. I twisted my neck to see who it was. Jughead and Toni walked in. They walked towards us.

"Hey guys. Toni these are my friends; Archie, Betty, Veronica and you already know Jimmy." "Yeah. I already know Firecracker. Hey Northsiders." Toni joked. They all awkwardly smiled at her. She sat next to me while Jughead sat next to Betty. "How are the Serpents doing?" I asked her. "They're okay, for now. I'm worried that they'll do something crazy when one of us is murdered again."

"So what's your theory?" Betty asked Jughead. At this point we've been sitting in Pop's for at least two hours now. It was already twilight. "I think this killer is trying to get rid of all of the gangs in Riverdale, one by one." I grasped. "Oh my.. of course! Maybe there's a new gang in town and they want Riverdale all to themselves." Everyone frowned at my speculation. "Don't pull your hamstring with that stretch Firecracker." Toni mocked. "I'm serious guys! When you didn't believe me last time, I turned out to be right. You guys really should get with the winning team." They all chuckled. "You're crazy, Jimmy."

Toni nudged my arm. I turned my attention to her. "When are you going to talk with Sweet Pea?" I frowned. "Talk? Why, what happened?" She scoffed. "He is trying to put on this tough act, but I can see that he misses you. He's way too stubborn to reach out to you." I sighed and pushed my warm and now melted chocolate milkshake to the side. "If I try to reach out, I bet that he'll push me away again." "That is because he's never experienced love in his life. Not even his parents showed him love. So he doesn't know how to deal with it. To be honest.. I don't know if you two will last, but you're the only girl he is still interested in after a week.. so give it a shot."

She took a pen out of her spiked handbag and grabbed a tissue out of the tissue holder. She wrote something on it and gave it to me. "That's his number. Please call him. He needs you." I exhaled and bit my bottom. "Okay. I will."

—————- Ξ —————-

    I sat on the edge of my bed with my phone in my hand. I was nervous as sh*t and I didn't even know why. I stared at his number for a few minutes before finally deciding to call him. When the phone ringed, my heart beat faster and faster until I heard his voice. "Who is this?" If it wasn't for God, I think I would've died from a heart attack. My voice was caught in my throat. "Who is this!?" "Uh, It's... J-Jimmy." I could hear a sigh on the other side of the line. "What do you want, Rug-Rat?" "I wanted to hear your voice." I said so softly, I was wondering if he was able to hear it.

It was silent for a few seconds. "That's a first." I smiled. "How are you?" "I'm fine. Thanks for asking, or whatever." I laughed.

What did I do to deserve her? The boy, Sweet Pea, thought. He wasn't a nice person who deserved something, someone nice. He was someone who beat up people on a daily basis. Someone who even killed a few people in his past days. Maybe she was getting close to him so that she could ruined him for life. He was already hurt and ruined by his parents. He didn't want to be hurt again.

"Sweets, I just want you to know that.. I really am there for you. I don't want to waste your time nor hurt you whatsoever. I'm really serious about this." And with that, his worries were wiped away by a few words. "I appreciate that, Rug-Rat."