Volume 11

CHAPTER ELEVEN 
LUCK

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇─◇
'Words don't have enough power to hurt you, unless the person who says those words mean a lot to you.'

    I was in a dilemma

    I was in a dilemma. Many possibilities were running through my mind. It was a decision I had to make in a matter of a few seconds. I opened the window further. Everything around me seemed to move in slow motion. The hail fell from the dark sky. I swung my leg over the windowsill, letting my foot rest against nothing but the cold air. I grabbed onto the duct — right next to the window. I slowly slid down. Because of the frost ice that covered the pipe, I was gliding down too fast, making me have an unstable grip on the pipe. My energy was reducing — second by second. I couldn't hold anymore and lost grip. It felt like I was hovering for a second before my nasty fall.

My ankle was the first thing to touch the ground, followed by my body. A stinging pain shot up to my ankle. I grabbed it in reflex and clenched my jaw. I tried to stand up but failed miserably. "Jimmy! Are you okay?!" A familiar, out of breath voice asked. I looked up and saw Kevin panting. He grabbed my arm, lifting me up and supported me. "We have to go. Lydia caught Archie and Brittany in her room but they managed to get away." "What? They aren't hurt right?" He nodded. "They're-" He was rudely interrupted by an ear piercing gunshot. They glanced at each other in horror. "We've got to go. Now!" "But what if one of them is hurt, Kev?"

"We can't worry about that now. We have to get you to the hospital."

"Excuse me ma'am, she just injured her ankle." He stated as we entered the hospital. It reeked of disinfectants. "I'm sorry, we have a lot of patients right now.." The nurse answered. He tilted his head slightly. A characteristic trait that he did, if he was about to cause a scene. "Do I need to remind you that my father, Tom Keller, is the Sheriff?! Do you want to help this girl or do you want to avoid the right of hospital care and end up in jail!?" She turned pale. "I-I'm sorry sir. I'll be right back." She stuttered. I smiled at him. "Well, well, well, your diva-ness does come in handy."

The nurse came back with a stretcher. I got on it by the help of Kevin and her. She escorted me to a room. "Do you want me to call your guardians?" I shifted awkwardly. "Uh, no thanks." She nodded and left the room. I exhaled and laid my thumping head on the soft pillow. "I'm sorry, Jimmy." "For what?" He sighed. "Your mom." Now it was my turn to sigh. "But.. you've got to act normal. She can't know that you were there that night or else it's going to mess up our whole plan." "Sure Kevin. I'll just pretend that my mother is not one of the masterminds in a murder plan."

He folded his arms across his chest. "Do you want me to call someone else?" I nodded. "Can you please call Sweet Pea?" "Okay but.. just be careful with him alright? Don't fall too soon for him." I nodded again — knowing that I was lying to him. I was already falling for Sweet Pea. Hard.

Few minutes later, a middle aged man came into the room. "Hello, Jimmy Campbell. I'm Dr. Bouchard," He extended his hand to me, that I shook. "What happened to your ankle?" "Uh, I had a really nasty fall during my night run." "Ah! I see. I was a really clumsy boy and had a lot of those during my 20's." He laughed. He slightly twisted my ankle. "Does this hurt?" I shook my head. He lightly tapped it in different places. "This?" I once again shook my head. "Okay, then it's just sprained. Nothing to worry about. I'll wrap your ankle in some bandage and then you're ready to roll. Just take it easy and let it rest, okay?" I nodded and thanked him.

Just as he left, somebody else came in. "Hey, are you okay?" Sweet Pea asked as he rushed over to my side. Worry was written over his face. "I'm fine." He held my hand. "What happened?" I rubbed my thumb over his hand. "I'll explain everything to you. I promise. But it's not safe here, Sweets. It's not safe for you." "Jimmy, listen. I don't know what's going on but I'll protect you." I placed my hand on the side of his face. "This is bigger than the both of us Sweet Pea. We can't even protect ourselves."

After the doctor wrapped my ankle up and gave me some pain relievers, Sweet Pea brought me to his trailer. "So spill. What's going on?" He asked with his arms folded. I sighed. "These gang murders aren't random. They're with a purpose. There is a new gang in town. The Greenstones. They want to own Riverdale. Anything or anyone who stands in their way, will be destroyed. The Serpents included. And yesterday we found out that Lydia, is one of them." He frowned followed by a scoff. "Some gang that is new in town is trying to kill all of us?" I nodded. "Bullsh*t." I frowned in surprise. "No it's not, Sweet Pea! You think I broke my ankle just to fool you?" He rolled his eyes. "Fortunately, yes I do."

It was my turn to scoff. "Wow. You really have some balls trying to accuse me of such a thing. Real childish, Sweets." "I think I know what this is. You and your Northside rats are trying to bring the Serpents down." "What are you talking about!? One of your boys got killed! Isn't that enough proof?" I shrieked as I swung my arms in the air. He shrugged. "Everyone gets killed. That's just life around here."

"So, that's it? You don't care?" He leaned against his kitchen counter. "Why should I? You Northsiders ruin everything!" I walked — more like limped towards him. "Sweet Pea, what is happening now, isn't some sort of pay back from the Northsiders. This is real." He folded his arms across his chest. "I think it's better if you leave." My eyes began to sting, threatening to let tears fall. "What? You thought that I would fall for you so that you could trick me? Not happening, Rug-Rat." He said as he laughed in my face. I grabbed my jacket from the couch and stormed out of his trailer.

It took him all the strength in his body — mental and psychical strength, to tell her off. It hurt him when he saw her rich brown eyes become glossy. He didn't mean a word he said to her. But he had too. He was protecting her. It was because of him that she went to that house with her friends. He couldn't have her get more hurt that she already was. Even if it meant that he had to hurt himself just so he could protect her, so be it.

I took a deep breath. I wasn't about to cry. Not today, not tomorrow. He couldn't have that much power over me. I pushed the key into the lock and turned it, making the door pop open. I threw it on the table that was next to the coat rack — where I hung my jacket. I walked straight to the kitchen, opening up the cabinet. The glasses full of alcohol shone in the moonlight. I stood on my tippy toes and pulled the whiskey from the top shelf. Not before too long, I was sipping on my fourth glass. I never drank alcohol on a regular basis. Only on holidays.

Footsteps and a door that swung shut was heard. The lights turned on and her mother's shocked face was revealed. "Jimmy why are you drinking this late?!" "I need it." I slurred my words. She swiftly swiped the glass out of my hand and poured it down the drain. "This is not how a lady is supposed to act!" I rolled my eyes. She always talked about how I should act like a lady or else my future husband would not appreciate me. "If your future husband sees you like this, he will not be interested in you anymore! Stop acting like a bad and parentless teenager!" I slid off the stool, faltering past her. "We all do something bad mom. Especially you." It slipped out of my mouth before I could stop myself. "What did you just say?!" I ignored her and entered my room.