Volume 8

CHAPTER EIGHT
DISTURBANCES

◇─◇──◇────◇────◇────◇─◇

    It had been hours since we were trying to connect the dots with the gang murders

It had been hours since we were trying to connect the dots with the gang murders. Betty, Jughead, Kevin and I were all slouched on the couch. "This is pointless." Jughead grumbled. "No it isn't! Just keep searching we're almost there.." I said while searching something about Riverdale gangs and patterns for the thousandth time. "I'm gonna get a drink." Jughead proclaimed. When we were left alone, Kevin scooted over to Betty. "Why did you spazz out like that to Veronica at her party, Betty?" She sighed and clenched her fists. I noticed that she would do that very often.

"Whatever it is Betts, we will never judge you. We will support you t-" She cut me off. "Someone has been threatening me. At first, it were vague texts and I thought it was a prank so I ignored it until it got serious — saying that if I don't treat her the way she should be treated, he would make my family pay." I exhaled. "Wow, Betty. That's scary." If she trusted us enough to tell us what has been happening in her life, I can do the same. "I recently received a text. Maybe it's from the same person." I showed them the text. Betty pulled her phone out. "Omg.. It is! Look at mine,"

(09:48) Message from unknown: Show Veronica how she must be treated for the manipulator that she is. Do it, or suffer the consequences.

— LYGRE

"They all came from the same benefactor, 'Lygre.' What does that mean?" Kevin asked confused. "Most importantly, why is he doing this? First gang members, now regular people?!" I added. Betty ran her hands through her tight ponytail. My phone beeped. I was startled. "Look!" Kevin pushed. I slowly took my phone out of my back pocket.

(15:08) Message from Sweet Pea: Are you coming over Rug-Rat?

I exhaled relieved. A smile crept onto my face. "Is it him?" I shook my blushing head. "It's.. somebody else." Kevin grabbed my phone out of my hand. "A serpent, Jimmy?! You know what happened between me and Joaquin." I rolled my eyes. "That's what happened between you two. Sweet Pea is different." I said with confidence. I didn't know why I was so confident because I still didn't know if Sweet Pea was the one who stabbed Dilton or not. I took my phone back and replied.

(15:10) Message from Rug-Rat J: The Whyte Wyrm?

(15:10) Message from Sweet Pea: Yeah

(15:11) Message from Rug-Rat J: Count me in then.😉

He smiled at his display. A part of him still wanted to push the girl away but he just couldn't. She was making him feel happy. Lucky even. But they both didn't know that someone was trying to make them stay away from each other.

I quickly gathered my stuff together. "I've got to go guys. I'll talk to you later." Betty smiled while Kevin gave me a judgmental look. "Use protection at least!" He shouted after me. "We're not doing the nasty Kevin, relax!" I shouted back.

As I saw the Whyte Wyrm in the distance, the butterflies began to amplify. I was about to see him — for the first time after our kiss. I was having a debate in my mind about how I had to greet him (with a kiss or with a hug) when I heard ruffling in the bushes. I twisted my neck to look and saw the man wearing a green cape from the last time at Pop's emerge out of the bushes. He stood there for a couple of seconds. I speeded up my pace while twisting my neck to look back at him. Suddenly, he began to ran towards me. My legs automatically started running towards the Whyte Wyrm. I entered the building out of breath. "You okay, Rug-Rut?" A familiar husky voice spoke behind me. I turned around and faced Sweet Pea.

His cologne penetrated my nose. I closed my eyes for a split second. I wanted to tell him what just happened but I didn't want to lose him. I know for a fact that he doesn't want to deal with a gang murderer. I suddenly felt a hand resting on my shoulder. I opened my eyes. Sweet Pea had a concerned look on his face. "Are you okay Jimmy?" My frown turned into a comforting smile. "I'm okay Sweets." And I wasn't lying. I was really okay with the fact that I was in his presence. Okay with the fact that I liked a Serpent. I decided to push the sighting of the man out of my mind for the night.

He took my hand in his. A electrifying feeling shot through my whole body. He led me to the bar. "Am I just gonna sit here and watch you drink?" I ask as I folded my arms across my chest. "No. I decided to stop drinking. For a while at least. Toni is helping me with it. She said, and I quote, 'It is better to look your problem in the eye, than to run away from them.'" A wide smile lingered on my lips. "I'm proud of you Sweets." Shock was written all over his face. "What?" I stepped closer to him. "I'm genuinely proud of you, Sweet Pea."

He had never heard that. He had never had someone tell him; 'I'm proud of you.' But she did. He finally got applauded for trying to better his life. He suddenly felt nervous. He didn't know how to act. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Thanks.. Rug-Rat."

I gaped. "Are you nervous Sweet Pea?!" He rolled his eyes but a small smile was noticeable on his lips. "Awh... how cute!" I said while pinching his cheeks. He pushed my hands away in a gentle manner and switched his bad boy persona on. "Hey lovebirds." Toni greeted as she sat next to us at the bar. "Hey To-" Sweet Pea cut me off. "We're not lovebirds." I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Toni noticed the tension that was building between us and cleared her throat. "Relax SP. I'm just jesting."