Chapter 26- Time Out

I stepped into the bedroom to find Codi laying on the floor smoking a joint.

"Codi!" I snatched the joint from his hand. "Are you fucking crazy?! Your parents-"

"Don't care." He shook his head. "They don't care. Trust me. This is normal in our household." He reached a hand out to grab the joint and I handed it to him. I laid down next to him.

"So your dad is kinda an asshole."

He laughed while taking a hit. "Kinda is an understatement."

"Okay he's a really big asshole." He passed me the joint and I took one big hit before coughing.

"Try taking smaller hits. I don't want you to die," he laughed. I rolled my eyes as he continued to hit it. "I get surfing isn't gonna last my whole life, but no way will I ever go to med school. I would rather kill my self."

"So..." I trailed off. "Have you thought about what you would want to do after?"

"There's nothing I'd rather be doing." He paused. "I mean, what would you do if you weren't writing?"

He has a good point. It was hard to think of doing something else when your mind was set.

"Maybe I would open a nonprofit organization for rescuing animals."

"You know... if things were normal... and you were my girlfriend... I'd say I would open it with you. We could call it C & Bs rescue center."

"The C comes first?" I raised a brow.

"It sounds better that way." We laughed a little bit too long as the affects of the marijuana kicked in.

"Your mom is nice," I admitted.

"She is. But she lets my dad walk all over her. He's cheated on her at least twice and she acts like she doesn't know. Because she's fucking scared of letting go. She doesn't deserve that shit."

"Yeah... but can you blame your mom. Losing the whole life you created... that's hard."

"Yeah. I guess." He took one last hit before ashing it. "Please tell me your family is more normal than mine."

"If you count my mom, my 8 year old sister, and I as being normal than yes. We're a special girl gang of our own." He laughed deeply, sending butterflies to my stomach once again.

"Do you wanna test out that hot tub now?" he asked.

"Fuck yes." I jumped to my feet before searching for my bathing suit. I laid my eyes on the red satin one I had brought before holding it to my chest. "I'm gonna change in the bathroom."

"Why is that?"

"So I don't tempt you."

"Touché."

We hurried into our bathing suits. I was so excited to try out the hot tub that I nearly tripped on the way out to the balcony. Codi grabbed my waist and quickly steadied my feet to the floor.

"Thank you prince charming."

He chuckled. "You're welcome Cinderella."

I looked at him confused. "But I don't have a glass slipper?"

"You probably would have lost it if you did because of how clumsy you are."

"Hey!" I playfully hit him.

I paused as he turned on the hot tub bubbles and took in the scenery. The sun was starting to go down and the city beneath us looked so tiny. I felt like I was on top of the world.