"He could have flown in," suggested Dean Thomas.

"No, he couldn't have just flown in!" Said Matilda turning to face a crowd of Gryffindors, becoming irritated by all the uneducated theories. "The castle is protected by more than walls, there are all sorts of enchantments on it, to stop people entering by stealth. You can't just Apparate in here!"

Many people were stunned into silence, except Hermione, who stood nodding in agreement.

"I'd like to see the disguise that could fool those dementors. They're guarding every single entrance to the grounds. They'd have seen him fly in too. And Filch knows all secret passages, they'll have them covered. . ."

"Not entirely," squeaked Matilda, disagreeing with Hermione, causing those around the two girls to take a warning step back. "Animagi, perhaps all of you should have been listening to Professor McGonagall instead of worrying about when Potter here is going to meet his maker, then you'd have known that a skilled wizard could very much so disguise themselves and potentially sneak past the dementors."

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

The candles all went out at once. The only light now came from silvery ghosts, who were drifting about talking seriously to the prefects, and the enchanted ceiling, which, like the sky outside, was scattered with stars. What with that, and the whispering that still filled the hall, Tilly felt as though she were sleeping outdoors in a light wind. She was scrunched in between Luna and Padma who was also lying beside her sister Parvati. Harry was laid directly across from her, heads so close they were almost touching.

Once every hour, a teacher would reappear in the hall to check that everything was quiet. Around three in the morning, when many students had finally fallen asleep. Professor Dumbledore came in. Tilly watched as Harry watched him looking around for Percy, who had been prowling between the sleeping bags, telling people off for talking. Percy was only a short way from Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Tilly, who quickly pretended to be asleep as Dumbledore's steps drew nearer.

"Any signs of him, Professor?" asked Percy in a whisper.

"No. All well here?"

"Everything under control sir."

"Good. There's no point in moving them all now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."

"And the Fat Lady, sir?"

"Hiding in a map of Argyllshire on the second floor. Apparently, she refused to let Black in without the password, so he attacked. She's still very distressed, but once she's calmed down, I'll have Mr. Filch restore her."

The door of the hall creaked open again, and more footsteps were heard.

"Headmaster?" It was Snape. Tilly and the others kept quite still, listening hard. "The whole of the third floor has been searched. He's not there. And Filch has done the dungeons; nothing there either."

"What about the Astronomy tower? Professor Trelawney's room? The Owlery?"

"All searched. . ."

"Very well, Severus. I didn't really expect Black to linger."

"Have you any theory as to how he got in, Professor?" asked Snape.

Tilly rolled her eyes as she noticed Harry raising his head very slightly off his arms to free his other ear.

"Many, Severus, each of them as unlikely as the next."

Tilly carefully kept her head buried in her arms, so she could see what was happening without getting caught; Dumbledore's back was to him, but she could see Percy's face, rapt with attention, and Snape's profile, which looked angrily.