"You're going with them?" Campbell's brow shot up in surprise.

"That's the plan," Rolland answered.

"Alright." Calvin tapped a command into his console. "Prep'ing shuttle now. They'll be ready for you."

Rolland walked briskly to the exit, catching up with Jordan and Erin as they exitted to the hall.

"We really need to go over there?" Jordan looked to Rolland as the trio made their way down the hall of the Excalibur.

"Yeah," Rolland answered.

"They invited us." Erin glanced over her shoulder towards Jordan as she walked. "We wouldn't want to give the wrong impression."

"But what're we hoping to find?" Jordan asked. "I mean, I think it's clear they pose a threat."

"Is that what you want to put in your report?" Erin raised an eyebrow. "You figured they were a threat so you left? I don't know about you, but I expect to do a thorough job here."

"Meaning what? What do you think we're gonna accomplish over there?"

"We need to learn about them." Erin kept her eyes forward. "Their beliefs, goals, motivations. Their technology. We need to come back with an idea about who they are."

"And there's the issue of the survivors," Rolland added.

"If there still are any," Jordan remarked.

"Yeah." Rolland hit the door to the bay. It slid open revealing the large, open space of the Excalibur's bay, and within it, four shuttles, two scout ships, and a light combat fighter.

"After you." Rolland motioned to the open bay door. "Looks like our ride is ready." He nodded towards the far end of the bay. Forty paces across the deck, shuttle pilot Kristina Alita stood beside one of the smaller crafts, arms folded across her chest. The vehicle's side door was swung fully open towards the ceiling, awaiting its passengers.

"The survivors -" Erin stepped through the bay door "- I've been meaning to talk to you about that." Jordan followed after her.

"What about 'em?" Rolland entered the bay, closing the door behind them. The three began their walk across the deck to the waiting shuttle.

"I know you want to try to help them."

"Yeah. Don't you?"

"Of course I do, but that's not why we're here." Erin stared intently towards Rolland as they walked. "If I see an opportunity to help the survivors without jeopardizing our relationship with the Catechumen, I'll take it. But helping them is not our priority."

The pilot Kristina unfolded her arms as the trio approached her beside the waiting shuttle. "Are we really going over there?"

"That's what I asked," Jordan said. "I think this is nuts, personally."

"That's what we're here for." Rolland rested his arm on the open shuttle door, leaning slightly inside. "You ready?"

"Yep. All set." Kristina stepped over to the separate pilot's door. "Protocol's locked in."

Rolland slipped inside the shuttle and sat. Erin and Jordan followed, taking seats on the long bench inside. The door drew closed behind them with a hiss, sealing with a mechanical suction sound.

"I'll do the talking." Erin turned to Rolland.

"You're worried I'll screw it up?" Rolland smiled. The gentle whirs and hums of the shuttle filled the passenger cabin.

"It's my job," Erin replied. "I know what questions need to be asked and how to ask them."

A fleeting eletrical sensation accompanied their passage through the energy field that seperated the bay from the coldness of space.