13

The next morning, almost everyone at school is staring at me. I just tried not to be conscious of them. I faked a I-don’t-care-what-you-think walk(hope I’m doing that well).  

“Hey Macy! You’re still using that bag,” a familiar friendly voice called. When I looked back, there I saw Tyler, sophomore. He’s riding his skateboard when he greeted me. He’s keeping a slow pace to match my walk.

By the way, he’s referring to my favorite bag, Peter Parker’s bag.

“I know,” I said and smiled back at him.

“Can you stop using that? You continue to hurt my feelings,” Tyler touched his chest as if he got some heartbreak there. I just smiled back.

“Catch yah later, Macy.” He sped up.

                “Yah, catch yah.” I replied.

I suddenly felt conscious, nervous and scarred. I have a feeling that’s my last normal interaction for this day because seriously, people are really staring at me.

The lunch at cafeteria’s normal, well not so. Hell yeah, most students continued to stare at me like I killed someone. Really, it’s becoming weird. Add the fact that Lisa also sat on our table.

Lisa’s trying to open up conversations in which Esther didn’t respond. I, as a best friend did well to interact. I told her about the staring I am experiences since this morning. She said that I should just shrug it off, so I did.

Things became weirder when Bianca Velasquez, the queen bee of our school asked me to sit on her table. I was exchanging looks with my trio and their eyes are disapproving.

Accepting her offer is social suicide, declining is also social suicide. Bianca approaching me clearly makes me visible. I am visible since Terrence talked to me about TWP work with the presence of Luna East students here at the cafeteria. I don’t want that to happen again, not with the queen bee bringing brighter light. Oh please.

What did I do to make me worthy as her new target?

“Uhmmmm, Bianca.” I said, my voice cracked.

“People kill for a place on our table, dear.” One of her minions blurted.

“I know,” I said.

“So you’re coming with us.” the queen said, well more like ordered. Bianca’s minions dragged me out of my chair and pushed me on a faraway table. They sat around me.

“So… tell me about yourself, Macy. Aside from the fact that you’re being Terrence’s hmmm. Assistant?”

“Associate,” I corrected.

“Oh whatever you call it,” I looked down at the plate of food in front of me.

Oh God, what did I do to deserve all of this?

“Bianca, why are you asking me to sit at your table so suddenly?”

She just rolled her eyes.

“I was trying to be friendly, you don’t need to be… rude.”

I inhaled. I didn’t answer. I don’t dare answer.

“Anyway, tell me about you and that little filthy bag of yours.”

“Filthy,” I repeated. She smiled like her words are not insulting.

“You know what, you’re a beauty… It’s a shame no one notices it.”

I looked at her. Bianca throwing compliments meant something different. I still chose to remain silent.

“Are you really that silent? Or should I give you some pens and paper before you speak, huh?”