19

When Terrence opened his locker, a bunch of pink envelopes welcomed him.

“You got some mess in there,” Terrence recognized Bianca’s voice. He wanted to ignore the girl that suddenly appeared beside him.

“Why are you doing this?”

Bianca was leaning on the lockers while admiring her nails.

“To annoy you,”

“And you think I am annoyed?”

“No you’re not. You’re not annoyed. You’re mad because the letters aren’t for you.” Bianca sneered.

“Does it hurt? One ordinary girl going for a hottie, and the hottie’s not you?” she teased.

Slowly, she’s getting on his nerves.

“She’s not an ordinary girl.” he quickly answered, thinking of Macy.

Inside the envelopes is Macy’s handwriting, crappy but sweet, ugly but filled with love. Terrence envied Michael because the letters are for him. He read every damn thing that arrived.

“Ohhhh dear. I guess I need more of a show. Editor-in-Chief? Why don’t you write a column about that?” Bianca was smiling wickedly.

“You said what?”

“Nothing,” she stared at her nails again.

“I can turn things easily around and I might. You know me, Terrence.”

“Don’t touch her. I’m asking nicely.”

Terrence closed his locker with much force. The sound echoed along the corridors.

“So that’s how you ask nicely?”

“I just want some show and you’re always giving a good one.”

Terrence rolled her eyes. Terrence opened again his locker and took the pile of letters in his hands.

“What are you doing?” she asked, confused.

                “I think I’ll burn these letters but no,”

Bianca rolled her eyes. Terrence doing something not mean is not so Terrence.

“Seriously, what the hell are you doing?”

“I’m doing the right thing.”

Terrence still held the stacks of pink envelopes in his hand.

“Bianca do me a favor, make sure the letters gets to its owner.”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because I said so,”

Bianca just ignored him.

“Nasty rumors or the letters?”

“Fine, my minions will take care of them.”

“Wow, that was fast.”

“I really don’t like negotiations with you, Terrence. But today may be an exception.”

“I’m glad I didn’t end up with you.” he commented.

“Of course, nobody wants to end up with a monster like you.”

Terrence didn't answer anymore. He actually wanted to thank Bianca for something. He doesn't know what. Maybe because of that party? Bianca rolled her eyes and just walked away.

"Or maybe not," he said to himself.

Terrence was smiling while walking to lunch. He did weird things for Macy, now it’s time to do the right thing.

Class is over. The bell rang and Luna East students are off to their own thing. Instead of heading to the Publication Office, Terrence stayed in his classroom with his gang. After all, he doesn’t want to see Macy in the office. Not when he felt awkward and shy after his drunken stint at Macy’s place, not to mention his unexpected and unromantic confession.

They are talking when a man Terrence hated so much stood by the door. Their heads turned to him.

“What’s the deal, bro?” asked by one of Terrence’s friends.

The man walked in the room, brave as always as if he hasn’t been knocked down by the group. Just when the gang is about to approach him, Terrence raised his hand, a signal to stop.

“The letters belong to you.”

Michael dropped the pile of envelopes in front of Terrence.

Terrence’s reaction was priceless. It was a mix of anxiousness, shock and bliss at the same time.

“Don’t worry. I won’t get near her again. She made it clear that he doesn’t like me with this.”

Michael held a paper, Terrence stood up and grabbed it.

“We’re done. I’m sorry, Michael.” he read.

“Ooops, I’m sorry Dude.” Terrence mocked, not feeling sorry.

“I accidentally read some,” Michael said calmly. Terrence picked up one of the opened envelopes.

"Terence, I hate you and love you now at the same time. You gave me enough reasons to hate you, now give me reasons to love you.

I might reconsider.

Really,

Macy."

            He didn’t notice he was smiling from ear to ear after reading the letter out loud.

“I’ll leave her alone. Just don’t hurt her.”

Terrence just looked at him. Terrence didn’t know what to feel or say.

“You can trust me with that.” was the monster’s unexpected reply.

Michael walked out of the classroom hurt but what can he do? He knew he needed to let Macy go.

Terrence opened each enveloped immediately and checked for the letter heads which are addressed to him. Who else will be “Most self-absorbed editor-in-chief”, “knight in shining armor my most hated party” and “heartless monster who ever lived”.

He checked every letter and his gang did the same. The letters did not only contain his name but varied dates. There is some written years ago, with Macy’s old handwriting that’s difficult to decipher.

“She said she wants to do ‘pen flirting’, what the hell is that? Seriously girls I can’t understand them.” asked by one of his friends. Terrence grabbed the paper.

“It’s mine!” he shouted, feeling protective of the letters.

“Dude, the girl’s head-over-heels with you back then.”

“Back then,” repeated by another one.

“But she hates you now. Look at this!”

Someone raised the letter containing long sentences, a hate letter. The date signed was today.  

“I said it’s mine! Stop reading my letters!”

His gang laughed.

“Terrence, just some advice. Don’t sit around reading. Make a move!”

“How?” he asked.

“Answer back,”

“Then do the grand gesture,”

“The what?” he asked. His gang laughed and one of them tapped his head.

“Since our boy’s in love, we will give you some help on the grand gesture. That’s the surprise thing, things that girls like that will make them say yes.”

“How will I do that?” he asked himself. His gang was silent. Someone took a pen and paper and put it in front of him. Terrence looked at it. His whole gang is smiling.

“Okay, I get it. I know what to do.”