8

• Dedicado a Sachiko Kunioka

One of the good things that Terrence noticed about Macy is that she’s not affected of his stern, monster (as his classmates call it) front until this morning. His coldness and his boss like demeanor is fake, made up for a show. He finds it funny that girls still liked him. Deep inside is a bubbly cheerful boy that secretly liked Macy for long.

His talk with Macy this morning surprised him. He never saw Macy look nervous that way. Meanwhile, he’s dating Lisa and the rumors have circulated quickly around Luna East. He knew what people are talking about now, he is not gay. He isn’t really.

He just answered a bunch of stupid questions from Lisa inside TWP’s office while Macy and Esther sat side by side. Terrence felt out of place while Lisa’s nagging his side. He wanted to leave her but he can’t be that cruel.

When Lisa asked her to hang out at Reyna bakery, he went along. That’s what a nice guy should do, right?

Terrence did not enjoy the black forest cake. Maybe, he is not in the appetite because he wasn’t with the right person. Lisa’s beautiful, funny and easy to love. But Macy’s better than her. Terrence knew Lisa’s motives so as her advances. Macy never did something what Lisa’s trying to do.

Macy won’t come to him. Macy won’t flirt him. Macy is not the kind of girl that asks a guy out. Terrence likes and hates it at the same time. Terrence’s enjoying Lisa’s attention: her sweetness and her simple “the moves”. He felt loved and liked. The aggressive type, that’s Lisa and he wants to learn how to like it.

Macy will never act like Lisa, never because Macy is Macy. Terrence taught about it. He always tried hard to avoid thinking about Macy because he’s now dating Lisa.

Is he, really?

“Lisa, let’s go back. I need to go check on them.” he said, when in reality he just wanted to check on someone. Lisa excused herself and apologized because she needed to go home.

Terrence was shocked when he saw The Wolf’s Pen office empty, the computer was on and Macy’s bag was still on the floor. Where is she?

Terrence went out searching for signs of her. He stared at the dim lit corridors of the student activity center. Some rooms are lit, some are not. Some students noticed and greeted him. The unnecessary red vests hanging on their shoulders is a clear indication that most of the students are headed home.

In the distance, Terrence saw a girl’s silhouette. It is 45 minutes past six and students staying later than six are a rare occurrence at Luna East. She knew it was Macy by the sound of her laugh and beside his silhouette is a guy. Another guy. Really?

“Hey,” Macy greeted. “I thought you’re heading home.”

“You left the office unlocked.” Terrence started with his EIC voice.

“I know but –“

“You should not leave it open! What if we lost something?!”

Macy inhaled. Terrence saw the guy in his peripheral vision. He knew him by face, he’s a senior and he’s one of the members of the Drama club.

“And why are you hanging out with some jerk after leaving my office?”

Macy’s jaw dropped. No one expected that coming.

“He’s not some jerk. He’s Michael,” her voice sounded tensed. Macy’s becoming nervous again.

Terrence eyed at Michael. He’s being cool which unusually annoyed Terrence.

“Don’t talk to my associate when she’s working,” Terrence finally spoke, his eyes fierce and his voice now on its monstrous state.

“Terrence, he’s not your staff! You can’t just tell him what to do.”

“And I can tell you what to do. Stop hanging out with him when you’re working.” Macy opened her mouth to speak but she closed it again.

“Woah, wait. You really boss her around like that?” the Michael finally spoke.

“Why? Have problems with that?” Terrence’s eyes are now fiercer, like looking at it would kill you. He stepped closer to him.

“Stupid, just because you’re one of those elites you have the guts to boss her around.” Michael stared back at Terrence. Sure, Michael was also a senior but he sure doesn’t know whom he’s bumping with.

Terrence smiled one of those mean smiles and Macy noticed it. She grabbed Michael by the arm and dragged him away.

“You really don’t want to talk to him. Trust me.”

“Why?” Michael asked.

“Because hell will break lose if he loses it. Just leave, okay?”

Michael was still confused but he saw Terrence staring at both of them. Man, those eyes look like he’s ready to kill.

“Okay, but I don’t think I can leave you alone with him.”

“Don’t worry, he doesn’t eat people, far as I know.” Macy grimaced and Michael laughed silently at that.

“Do you want me to wait for you? I know we just met and I just asked you to help me with the props but-“

Macy stepped closer to him, and put her finger to his lips.

“Shhhhh, yes wait for me. Please.”

Michael felt Macy’s breathe on his lips. He thought Macy will kiss her but she didn’t. Still, the heat of her body close to him was surprising. Michael blinked a lot of times before he went back to his senses and saw Macy walking back to Terrence. He knew he just have to wait. Like any other lover boy, Michael is smiling like an idiot.