Chapter 44: We don't care anymore

Song used in this chapter: "All We Know" - The Chainsmokers

____ 

"Fighting flames of fire

Hang onto burning wires

We don't care anymore"

"Not at all," he said as he picked out another chicken and took a bite before facing Moo Yul again. "I'm gay."

There was a commotion next to Moo Yul, because apparently Heung Soo had choked with the shot of soju he had just brought to his mouth and was now coughing loudly.

Moo Yul immediately seized the opportunity to start laughing right away, but his smile slowly dissipated as Nam Soon showed no sign of finding this funny. In fact, he was staring at Moo Yul and back at Heung Soo, seeming a bit worried.

The truth was that Nam Soon regretted his words only a second after saying them, and soon afterwards he also regretted losing the chance that Moo Yul had just given him to pretend it was all a joke.

Moo Yul, who stared in astonishment at both Nam Soon and Heung Soo - that was now hiding his face in his hands, staring blankly at the chicken wings right in front of him, only poking them with no sign that he was about to eat them - took a deep breath as he seemed to be thinking through all of it.

"Okay..." Moo Yul shook his head, catching a glimpse of Nam Soon's eyes, that was staring right at him as if waiting for any harsh reaction at any moment. "I mean, really -" he added as Nam Soon frowned at him, looking uneasy "I don't have any problem with that," he continued, trying his best to sound as natural as possible, but Nam Soon did notice that his voice was trembling, as if he himself was trying to believe his own words.

Moo Yul was now staring at Heung Soo, hoping he would make any comments about it, but he was pouring himself another shot of soju and didn't seem like he was planning to say something any time soon.

Nam Soon handed him his own glass, and Heung Soo took a few extra minutes to serve him, but none of them spoke for the rest of the night. They quickly finished eating and drank all the rest of the soju before they decided it was best to go back to the hotel.

"Two hearts still beating

On with different rhythms

Maybe we should let this go"

That bedroom would be completely silent had it not been for the sound of the water splashing against the shower tiles. Heung Soo was taking their clothes from inside their backpack, and neither Nam Soon nor him spoke a word for a while - Nam Soon didn't dare look at Heung Soo, scared of whatever he might be thinking about what he had just done.

As he drew nearer, however, Heung Soo grabbed his wrist, forcing Nam Soon to look up at him. Heung Soo was staring at the bathroom door, but soon enough his eyes met him, watching every inch of the younger's expression.

"What the fuck was that?" Heung Soo asked in a subtle tone, not too loud for Moo Yul to hear, but loud enough to make a statement.

"I'm sorry..." whispered Nam Soon, looking down in embarrassment. "I think it was the alcohol, I don't know..." he continued, still facing his feet, "I'm sorry Heung Soo, I really didn't think it - ," but Heung Soo was already nodding his head in understanding.