chapter nine

The next day Zachary and Sawyer walk through the school corridors together and try to ignore the stares and mumbles. Pheobe walked up to them and grabbed Zachary's hand and enlaced their fingers. Pheobe's name was quickly added to the whispers.

"We need to find some way to get the attention off of you guys. Everyone is positive that Sawyer is doing the murders." Pheobe says as the three reach Sawyer's locker. They immediately noticed the graffiti. People were laughing and giggling at the sight. Someone had spray painted Murderer on Sawyer's locker. Pheobe let go of Zachary's hand and turned to the laughing people. Zachary regretted answering that reporter's stupid questions, he blamed himself for these new rumors.

"Whoever did this should be ashamed of yourself. Sawyer would never do this! He wasn't even at the hospital when Justin was murdered and he didn't even know Catherine! Grow up and leave all of us alone! We've all been through enough lately!" Pheobe screamed and the laughs stopped and turned back into judgmental mumbles. Pheobe turned back to her friends and held Zachary's hand once again.

"See this is why I love you." Zachary smiled, Pheobe rolled her eyes playfully. Then, the quads walked up to then. Chase was covered in deep cuts and bruises.

"We're gonna ask you a question and if you give us the answer we want then we'll believe that you are not the killer." Sam says

"Um, okay ask." Sawyer says while still attempting to rub off the graffiti on his locker.

"What happened when I was attacked?" Chase asks

"When you were attacked? When were you attacked?" Pheobe asks

"Can I ask my own question?" Zachary asks. "Who even are you people?"

"Oh, we haven't properly met have we?" Lizzy asks. Zachary shook his head. Lizzy introduced everyone to him.

"Sawyer! Stop ignoring the question. What happened when I was attacked?" Chase asks.

"Um, I know you had to have some kind of surgery." Sawyer says truthfully.

"How do you know that?" Chase asks

"Ryan told me." Sawyer replied with a shrug.

"Well, do you know why I had surgery?" Chase asks

"No," Sawyer answers looking Chase directly in the eyes.

"I was shot, they had to remove the bullet." Chase says. "You're not the killer, are you?" Zachary wondered how the quads could trust someone that easily.

But right when Chase said that the school doors slung open and the sheriff walked inside with Officer Peters by his side. The sheriff walked right up to Sawyer without even sharing a glance with any other students.

"I'm gonna have to search your locker." The sheriff says. "Please, unlock it."

"Um, what's this about?" Sawyer asks

"Just open the locker kid." The sheriff says. Sawyer opens his locker and the sheriff pushed passed him and began looking through his messy locker. After a few minutes Sheriff reached deeper inside his locker and pulled out a long bloody knife. The sheriff look at Sawyer and placed the knife in an evidence bag.

"Sawyer Mcminn, your under arrest for the murders of Catherine Murphy and Justin Brown." Sheriff says and Officer Peters pulled Sawyer's hand behind his back and placed handcuffs over his wrists.

"I didn't do anything! That's not mine, i swear!" Sawyer screamed but didn't resist the arrest because he knew it'd only make matters worse.

Jacelyn and Lucy ran up to Pheobe and Zachary.

"What's going on?" Jacelyn asks

"Sawyer's being arrested." Pheobe answers. Zachary couldn't speak, he couldn't believe that they really thought Sawyer did this.

"Officer! Sawyer didn't kill anyone! He's being framed!" Zachary yelled.

"Until he's proven innocent, he'll be in our custody." Officer Peters states.

"Zachary, you have to prove me inoccent, I trust you." Sawyer says and Zachary nods in disbelief as Sawyer is escorted out of the school. Zachary ran his hands through his hair while Phoebe screamed at people to move along.

"Are you okay Zachary?" Jacelyn asks and touches her brother's arm softly. He pulls away from her touch.

"I-I just need air." He stutters and runs out of the school with his hands shaking at his side. Zachary slid down  the exterior wall and tried to slow his breathing. His best friend was just framed for murder. Murder. Sawyer would never do that? Would he? Zachary's hands continued to shake. He'd prove Sawer's innocence even if it was the last thing he did.