Chapter Three

Over the next few days at school, I notice many people hanging around Britney and taking part in her pity party, but I don't have the energy to care. Final exams are in about a month and a half, so I have more than enough on my plate without dealing with the drama. Besides, a few of the girls have stuck by me, believing that Britney will go to any lengths to take my place as queen bee of Hayfield High. Stacey has been my confidant for as long as I can remember, and she and I have been hanging out after school each day, growing closer than we ever were before.

At lunch, the football team splits in half and the boys sit either with me or with Joseph and Britney. The idea of me being a bully is simply laughable, because I sit and mind my own business while Britney and Joseph find new ways to try and humiliate me.

For instance, on Thursday there was an incident with a carton of milk.

"Hey, Angel," Britney huffed, and I spun around just in time to receive a face full of chocolate milk. "I'm so sorry," she said, totally insincere. "I'm just really clumsy." She threw her head back and laughed, and the entire table she sits with each day burst into laughter, including Joseph, who stared right at me as he pulled Britney into his lap.

If I wasn't so self-confident, I'd likely become severely insecure and depressed, but luckily I'm able to bounce back from most things fairly easily.

The hardest thing is when the next football game rolls around. Chloe is on the Britney side of the fight, so for the first time ever I don't get to make plans to stay at her place. Instead, Stacey invites me and the other six girls on my side to get ready at her place and stay there afterwards. I show my gratitude by hugging her, and she seems proud to have cheered me up.

Even though I don't like Joseph, I put it all aside as I lead the team in our chant.

"Andrews! Andrews!" we shout as he leads the team onto the football field. I'm in a good mood, having spent hours giggling with the other girls as we do each other's hair and makeup, so it doesn't even bother me when Joseph shoots a grin at Britney and blows her a kiss. In fact, the entire night passes without incident, and I view it as a win for myself.

Stacey, Gemma and I chatter happily as we walk out to the front carpark together.

"Oh my God." Gemma suddenly stops, her jaw dropping as she stares at something behind me.

"What is it?" I ask. I turn around and gasp. All of my windows have been smashed, my tires have been slashed, and the word SLUT is now written across the windshield in bright red lipstick.

The same shade of lipstick that Britney wears.

"This is taking things too damn far," Stacey mutters.

My car. My beautiful car...

"I'm going to the police," I state. "This is unbelievable."

"I'll drive you," Stacey offers immediately.

"I'm coming too," Gemma adds. "Let's take some pictures first."

After we follow Gemma's advice and take lots of pictures of the car, we get into Stacey's car and head to the local police station.

When we enter, I feel a little self-conscious - just a bit - because we're all wearing our cheerleading outfits, and I worry that we won't be taken seriously.

We approach the front desk together.

"How can I help you girls?" asks the young guy behind the desk. He looks like he's only about nineteen, and I notice Gemma checking him out, but he's nowhere near attractive enough for my high standards.