Death & Ghosts | 03

Start from the beginning

I slowly served the tables that littered the drab bar, making pointless conversation to avoid Gary and the blonde bimbo with her oversized breasts that looked as if they were about to burst from her too-small shirt.

But too soon I stood before them both, my hair a mess and in my plain black clothes that were in no way flattering to my non-existent figure. I smiled and channelled my inner calm. "Hi folks, I'm Audrey and I'll be your host. What can I get for you tonight?" I left my pen poised over the pad and waited for their order, studiously avoiding all eye contact. 

"A light beer—" The blonde was cut off by Gary.

"You and Jeff seem close." His voice was amused but his eyes were hard.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Wow, is that what it looked like to you? Don't get too close Gary, I might trip over your IQ." I didn't look up to see his reaction and continued to write down the girls order; suddenly not in the mood for chitchat.

The girl seemed to be more stupid then her look suggested. "What does that even mean waiter?" It was obvious that she was using my underpaid job as an insult, and she had hit the mark but she had no right to judge me because she had designer clothes.

I rolled my eyes, "It means that you and your man are of lower IQ than average, honey. So low it's become a tripping hazard for those surrounding you." My voice was dripping with sarcasm, I wasn't even aware I was capable of being so condescending, but as always, I surprised myself.

I heard Gary trying to stifle a laugh.

"For your information Annabel, I'm quite intelligent." I decided to ignore the fact that she had gotten my name wrong, knowing she took it from page one of the how-to-be-a-bitch book, hoping to get a rise out of me.

I laughed at her smug expression. "You know how I know you're lying? Your lips moved." With that I turned to the more than amused Gary, efficiently cutting off the girl. "Is that all for today?"

He nodded but didn't speak, probably not wanting to deal with my horrible attitude and even worse personality, but I was too annoyed to care. I had to work two jobs and double hours to pay rent and this bimbo just waltzed in here like she owned the place. I had news for her, once she had sweated her pretty makeup off scrubbing the floor she could come back and try again.

"Audrey?" I cringed as I felt Jeff's warm breath against my neck. "Can I talk to you about the way you treat our clients?" I sent the blonde a dirty look as she clutched onto Gary, her body plastered against his. 

He sent me an apologetic smile but I was too far frustrated to acknowledge it.

I sighed as I was pulled across the room. "Okay rule one and by far the most important, don't be a bitch." I glared daggers at him as he smirked at me, his greasy hair sticking to his forehead. "And second, don't associate with Gary."

For the love of Mother Mary, not this again. "I swear if one more person tells me to leave him alone, when I hardly know the guy, I'm going to scream!"   

Jeff didn't look amused. "He's a killer Audrey."

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. "A killer?" Wow, the rumours seem to get more and more interesting as time went on. What would be next? A highly trained assassin sent here to kill off the oh-so-important nobody's that inhabited this town.

Jeff sighed. "Well, under suspicion of multiple murders but the Sheriff is keeping it under wraps so don't go opening your trap, alright?"

I felt my legs go wobbly and my vision blurred. "What happened?"