TWENTY-FIVE

from fire by perta

Just as I expected it to be, the first week back to work was difficult. Seeing Justin was nearly impossible even though he was finished with school. Work was demanding for the both of us. As soon as he got home, he was taking me to work. As soon as he picked me up from work, we went to sleep. The cycle was exhausting.

It was a Thursday night when Justin had picked me up from work at the normal two in the morning time. When I looked over at him from the passenger's seat, I noticed the bags under his eyes. They were common during those car rides. After all, he was losing a significant amount of sleep just to come get me.

Multiple times I had insisted on taking the bus home, but he wouldn't dare allow that. Perhaps it was because he was a direct witness to one of my customers harassing me outside of Parker's, or perhaps it was because he loved me so much, or both. Whatever the main reason, he only wanted to pick me up. No one else.

Those car rides were quiet. Our fingers were laced nicely in my lap, which I occasionally squeezed in order to make sure I was keeping him awake. There wasn't much to talk about, either. We were both too tired.

How can we live like this until the fall when I go back to school? I don't know if we'll make it.

"Two more days of this," I lightheartedly pushed, attempting to make the situation seem less awful.

It was difficult.

He stifled a laugh. It wasn't hateful or angry, rather than all he could scrounge up with his lack of energy. "For the week."

I pursed my lips, resting my head on the cold glass of the window. I'd have been lying if I said I didn't feel extremely guilty for the circumstances. They sucked. One hundred percent. Sucked.

"We'll make it, okay?" he was the one pushing soft words on me then. "We're just not used to it yet."

I turned to him. "Do you really think this is something we can get used to? I don't want to ruin our relationship again over something so stupid like a job."

"You could quit," he shrugged.

I raised my eyebrows. I haven't been without a job since I was probably twelve. I had started working the diner then, and ever since, I worked. Also, the quickness of his idea had me believing he was thinking about me quitting the club for a while.

"I have nothing to fall back on. I applied at a million places, none of which called me back."

"You have me to fall back on."

I shook my head. "I can't do that to you, Justin. I'm not living off of your hard work. That's not right."

"It'll only be a few months, right? Until you go back to school. Then you can get a waitressing job like you mentioned before."

Instead of responding immediately, I pondered. Again, his quickness had me feeling curious. I wondered why he didn't tell me, but then again, we never saw each other. It was difficult to communicate anything to each other.

"How long has this been on your mind?" I asked bravely.

He didn't look at me. He focused on the road ahead. "The day after I took you to work for the first time. This has nothing to do with your job duties either. I'm comfortable with what you do."

"My hero," I teased sarcastically.

"Stop," he giggled tiredly, resting a hand on my thigh. I was pleased by the lightheartedness of our conversation. "I just think this is draining the both of us. I'm sure the nature between you and Nate was much different. Did he love and care about you? Sure, but not the way I do. I feel like we spend most of our time together in the car. It sucks."