SIX

waste a moment by kings of leon

It was May.

Slowly, I lost hope of the idea that I was going to see Justin. The nights all began to blend together, and I had no choice but to stick to my statement that I had given to Nate, claiming that I wouldn't see Justin again. Unfortunately, it wasn't by my decision.

Nate and I didn't talk about Justin after that morning, considering he knew my hopes would be ruined if we did. Getting my spirits up about us ever being together was a setup. A setup for disaster.

I was waitressing and bartending that night at Parker's. It was a slow, tiring night, as they all had been for the last month. Justin's presence in my life really threw me off, and I was unable to shake the feeling. It was unusual for me to be so affected by something so minute, but then again, how insignificant is it to have the ex love of your life return after four years?

"Three Molson's," I smiled cheerfully as I placed the three tall bottles of beer on the table in front of the gentleman who ordered them. Out of any table I had previously, the three men were much more polite than normal. They almost made the day pleasant. "Anything else I can get for you boys?"

The one who sat alone on the one side of the booth spoke up. He reminded me of a guy from the Jersey Shore. He was very tan and muscles with spiky hair, but hey, at least he was polite. "Can we get some fries please?"

Smiling, I nodded. "You got it."

I turned around, heading for the bar which led to the small kitchen we had. On my way, Brandy grabbed my arm and pulled me towards her. Suddenly, I was greeted by the cheap fuscia lipstick and Dollar Store body spray that she wore. I didn't know why she dressed as if she made no money. She probably had tons of it, and she wanted to look like a homely hooker.

"Can we talk?" she asked, her blonde curl falling over her forehead.

I nodded, nerves immediately flooding my insides. Brandy wasn't the type to pull someone aside to tell them they were doing a great job. She only pulled people aside to tell them they weren't doing a good job. Not the best management technique if you ask me.

Did she notice that I was growing miserable at work? Did I do something wrong?

I followed her to the back after placing the order slip down on the counter for the kitchen to see, entering her barely lit mess of an office. A yellow light from outside shined through the old blinds, decorating the room with stripes. I sat down, watching her do the same in her much more comfortable chair.

"Am I getting fired?" I asked out of trembling instinct.

She scoffed, reaching for something in her desk drawer. "What? No! Why would I fire you?"

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"Should I be firing you?" she raised her eyebrow jokingly.

I didn't think it was funny, but I laughed anyways. It was mainly out of discomfort. I obviously didn't want to be in there in the first place.

"So," she went on, smoothing her hands over some paperwork. "You've been here for a little over a year, right?"

I nodded, sucking my teeth and sitting up straight. "Yeah, it's been great," I explained, even though I hadn't been having that great of a time as of lately.

"Well, what would you say if I offered you a position as a full time dancer, and we get rid of the bartending crap?"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked to the side. "I don't understand. Did something happen to one of the other girls, or—"