Chapter Twenty: The End

"I'm sorry, Father," Thora said.

"I forgive you and thank you, Thora, for all you have done," her father said.

Einar walked up. Leif cautiously scratched him under the chin. Einar decided to like him.

Skye came running up. "That was amazing," she said solemnly.

Tove and the other children came too.

"Good job, Thora," Tove said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. 

Thora blushed. Leif and Einar turned to look at them. Leif raised an eyebrow and Einar narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, come on you two," Thora said. 

Leif remained unfazed. "I'd like to have a word with you, young man, about your intentions toward my daughter."

Thora blushed harder, terribly embarrassed by her father's display. 

Tove flashed Thora a quick, confident smile before releasing her shoulder and facing her father.

"I, sir, would like to ask your permission to court your daughter," Tove replied.

Thora's mouth dropped open and she couldn't hold back her smile. Skye made a little squealing noise.

"Come with me, Thorvaldr," Leif said, and the two began to walk and discuss.

Einar gave a huffing sound and turned to Thora. One of her little cousins, the loud one, timidly reached a hand out toward the dragon. 

"It's ok, Einar is nice," Thora said. Soon all the children were climbing on Einar, petting him, and sneaking him bits of fish.  

Everyone, including Einar, celebrated Thora's fourteenth birthday and their surprising victory over the Torolf and his cruel Viking warriors. Some noisemakers that one might call musical instruments if they were feeling especially generous managed to produce a lively tune.

As the older Vikings began a dance, Leif and Tove rejoined the party. Thora noticed that her parents had a quick conversation. Then Leif gave a nod and Tove walked up to her.

"Thora Leifdaughter, may I have this dance?" Something in Tove's eyes told her that his question was much more significant than it seemed. He had asked her father for his permission and now he was asking for hers.

Thora smiled at him, her cheeks turning a little bit pink.

"Yes, you may."