Chapter Fifteen: Discovered!

About two weeks after she used Iona's healing salve on Einar, Thora was happily skipping to visit her pet dragon. Einar was waiting for Little One. He had a surprise for her and he knew she would love it.

When she reached Einar's cave, she handed him the fish one by one as he ate them. Then she pet his head, rubbed behind his ears, and scratched under his chin. Einar was all wiggles today. When Thora went to check on the last remaining cut on his side, he pushed her toward his back, using his tail. He went still and lay flat. Thora looked at him. His eyes were huge and he wiggled ever so slightly. Thora climbed on his back for fun. She expected him to stare at her with unblinking eyes like when he was confused. Instead, he stood up and started walking.

"Wait! Einar! What are you doing?" Thora asked.

Einar stopped, looked back at her, and wiggled.

Thora clung to the wriggling creature's back. "You want to take me for a ride?"

Einar ran out the cave entrance and jumped.

Thora grabbed his neck and held on tight.

He dove straight down. Just when Thora thought he was going to splat into the ground, killing them both, he swooped up and gently glided out to sea.

He looked back at Little One. She was looking around and petting his head. Einar turned around and flew back to the island. She pushed on one side of his neck to turn his head to the left. Einar flew left. She pushed his neck to the right. He went right. Up. He flew up so high, Thora touched the clouds. Down. He dove straight for the ground. Up! Up! Einar flew Little One all over the island until the sun was sinking. Then she directed him back to the cave. After a safe landing, she dismounted. Einar watched her as she walked back to the entrance of the cave. He made a little sound. Thora turned to him. He wiggled. Thora grinned broadly and scratched him under the chin.

Tove was looking for Thora in the forest. He stopped at the mountain path. Had she gone this way? He started up it.

Einar was trying to play hide and seek. He did this every day when Thora was trying to leave. He loved playing with Little One. This was a great way to buy time. It worked like a charm.

Tove was seriously considering warning Leif that Thora was missing. Suddenly, he heard something. Was that Thora laughing? He continued up the path.

Little One was beginning to leave again. He whined and curled up in a ball. He played peek a boo with his tail. Oh goody! She was coming back again.

"Einar," she scolded. "You know I have to go."

Suddenly, Einar stopped looking forlorn and stood bolt upright. He bared his teeth and growled. Thora turned, but didn't see anything.

"It's nothing, Einar. Stop," she said, not sure of herself.

Thora spotted a shadow was creeping forward. Einar growled louder. Suddenly, Tove rounded the corner. He saw Thora standing next to the dragon that had tried to kill her and he ran to her.

Einar snarled. How dare he come at his Little One like that? He tried to shield her.

Tove was scared. The dragon was trying to block him from her!

Thora was even more scared. This was not good. Not good, NOT GOOD!

Tove jumped at Einar. The battle had a clear ending. Einar was going to kill Tove.

"STOP!" Thora shrieked.

Einar turned to Thora. What did Little One think she was doing?

Tove ran to Thora. He jumped in front of her. Thora pushed him away and ran to stop Einar from pouncing.

"Thora, what are you doing?" Tove yelled.

Einar growled.

"Stop it, both of you!"

Einar whimpered.

"Einar, this is Tove. Tove, Einar."

Tove got up and walked toward them.

"Einar, I said stop," said Thora, while watching Tove.

Einar stopped trying to shoot fire at Tove and burn him to a crisp.

Thora walked to Tove and brought him to Einar. Thora put Tove's hand on Einar's nose. Einar looked at Tove. Tove stared at Einar. Thora stepped back. The other two looked at Thora.

"Einar, Tove is nice. Sit, Einar."

Einar sat reluctantly. He sniffed Tove. He sneezed at him. He wiggled.

Thora laughed. "That means hello."