Chapter Eighteen: The Dragons Become Helpful

Iona had everyone forming ranks in five seconds flat. She took Skye and the other children and hid them in the house. She assigned Tove and Thora to stay with them. Thora protested, but Iona wouldn't be persuaded otherwise. When Torolf arrived, he jumped off the boat and walked to the shore, nearly one hundred warriors following him. He looked at Leif and spat on the ground. Leif drew his sword. He didn't bother trying to reason with him, because that wouldn't work. Torolf didn't care one whit for talking, plus he was the most arrogant person anyone had ever had the misfortune of meeting. Torolf drew his sword and lunged at Leif. The fight was on.

Soon everyone was fighting. But Leif's side had fifteen and Torolf had over ninety. Thora ran outside to help and someone shoved her right back in. It was Tove. One of the cousins laughed. Skye glared at the girl, who quickly fell silent. Tove turned to Dustin.

"Keep them here." Tove took Thora's hand and opened the door. They ran for the forest.

"Well, look at that. You already have deserters," Torolf grinned evilly.

Leif turned and saw Thora's and Tove's disappearing figures. Torolf lunged and narrowly missed Leif's chest.

Thora sprinted across the meadow and up the mountain path. This time, Tove was the one having trouble keeping up.

Einar head a sound. He looked around. Little One? Was that you? Suddenly, Little One and her aggravating friend burst into the cave. Little One! He wiggled ecstatically.

Thora climbed on Einar's back. He wiggled so hard, Thora almost fell. She helped Tove on. His displeasure was obvious.

What? This guy again? And where was the food? Little One! What is wrong?

Thora ignored Einar's unblinking stare. She kicked him gently in the side. He ran to the entrance and leapt off. Thora pointed him toward the battle and rubbed his throat. Poof! A fireball shot toward the harbor and one of the ships exploded in flames. Tove laughed. Einar set several other ships on fire, causing widespread panic. Some of Torolf's warriors ran for the other side of the island. The racket woke the dragons sleeping in their caves and some hurried to join in on the fun. They chased the fleeing Vikings, picked them up and tossed them to each other, burned the ground behind them, and scared the living daylights out of them. When most of Torolf's warriors were gone, Thora dropped Tove off. He ran to the children, who were starting to peek out the door.

"Where's Thora?" Skye demanded.

"Riding on her dragon," Tove answered.

"WHAT?" Skye shrieked.

"SHE'S RIDING ON HER DRAGON!" Tove yelled.

A chorus of oohs and ahs and wows came from the children.

Thora landed Einar next to her father and uncle. Leif had lost his sword and was seconds from being dispatched by Torolf. Thora took up her father's sword and began to fight Torolf.