Chapter Three: When Battle Cries

The next morning, the children nibbled at the stale loaf of bread as Leif and the other men paced the deck, concerned. During the night, a cold, dense fog bank had rolled over them, obstructing their view of everything. Standing at the front of the boat, Leif could barely make out the figure of his wife at the other end of the craft. In these conditions, it would be impossible to sail anywhere. Thora understood this too. She decided that unless a miracle occurred, they would all die for sure. This was very true. But a miracle was on its way.

The boat sailed on with no disturbances except for complaints from the hungry children. In the early evening, a sinister shape materialized in the dense fog. The anxious Vikings grabbed their weapons and stood prepared to fight. As the shape became clearer, Thora realized it was just a boat, about the same size as theirs. The injured Vikings (who had only suffered a few scrapes from the enemy's swords, despite the violence of the brief skirmish) stood up and joined the other men and women settling into a defensive formation around their boat. By now, even the children had noticed the looming silhouette. They tiptoed behind their alarmed parents. Thora stood with her mother.

She gasped as the other boat came into full view. There were ten Vikings, some armed and prepared for battle, all of them looking as terrified as the occupants on her boat. Everyone wore the typical Viking clothing: furry brown boots, homespun cloth shirts and pants, and animal skin vests. She noticed three wide-eyed, small children all hiding behind a boy Skye's age. He looked just as scared as they did. The six older Vikings became pale as they saw the eleven warriors standing in ranks. Iona put her hand on Thora's shoulder. The Vikings assembled on the other boat all had cuts and gashes. Even the children were wounded. Thora knew the other Vikings would fight, but even they knew they could not beat these odds. Leif decided that fighting these bedraggled Vikings was impractical. His tribe would win easily, but not before some were injured or perhaps killed.

"Do you come in peace, or in war?" Leif asked, sounding authoritative and confident.

The newcomers glanced at each other nervously. Then one spoke up. "We come in peace if you do." The speaker looked hopeful.

"Then put down your weapons, everyone," Leif commanded. "We are sailing to a nearby island. Will you join us?"

On the other boat, the Vikings looked at each other in astonishment. Then, grins broke out on their faces as they searched for something to anchor the boats together. A rope was tossed over and the two boats secured. The other boat was in worse condition than theirs was. Thora and Iona were joined by an ever-curious Skye.

As the Vikings on the other boat gathered their supplies, Thora noticed they had enough food to feed all of them for at least two days. They had blankets, extra clothes, and fresh water as though they had planned this trip. But why were they traveling with small children when they were all injured and weak? 

Skye was intently watching the boy Thora had guessed to be about her age. Probably wondering if he'll play with her, Thora decided. As the last of the people boarded the boat, Thora noticed that one of the warriors was a boy about her age with dark brown hair and large hazel eyes. She unconsciously stood up straighter. He looked around and noticed her watching him. Thora looked down, feeling her face heat. She moved to her father's side to avoid the handsome stranger's gaze.