❃Prologue❃

In the summer of 84 AG, a spark was born. 

Under the rule of Fire Lord Azulon, everything was perfect. Or so it seemed. Things were changing, and Zaram didn't know if he liked it. A draft was put in place recently, and it would send boys and girls starting at the age of fifteen off to fight the war. Zaram was sixteen, so he was about to be sent of to fight. There was nothing he could do, though. He was a lowly boy, the son of a general in the Fire Nation Army. If he ever spoke out, he would be banished - or worse, killed.

Even with all this uncertainty, he knew things had to change for the better. He wanted his newborn baby sister to grow up in a world without a war; he wanted his little sister to live in a world full of peace and happiness. This world was full of dangerous things, and he wanted to create a better world for her.

Zaram hovered above the wooden crib, watching his baby sister sleep peacefully. He reached out and brushed his finger across her forehead and whispered, "I will be back, little spark. And when I am, I promise to bring a better world with me."

Before he could talk himself out of it, he headed out the door of their little house. A small pack was settled on his back as he walked into the dark night. The moon was not out tonight, so he had to find his own path. His shoulder-length hair blew in the cool breeze. A tear ran down his cheek at the thought of leaving his little sister and parents. But he had to do this. If he didn't, his future and his sister's future would be ruined. 

Zaram just hoped that he wouldn't fail this important mission.

Thirteen years later . . .

Change. Such a small word, but it is the thing that pushes people to their limits. Sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is bad. Most of the time, change is neutral. It doesn't do anything good or bad. But, when things don't change when they need to, that is not good. And, thirteen years later, things did not change at all, leaving the world a little darker than it should have been.

"Please, Dad!" Asake pleaded, clasping her small hands together. She even popped out her lower lip when he looked at her. "I want to go with you!"

"You can't," Yagow said matter-of-factly. His nimble fingers worked their way up his shirt as he buttoned every single button. 

"Daddy, come on," Asake said. She plopped down on his bed, right next to his red Army jacket. "You know I want to follow in your footsteps. I should be able to sit in on one meeting to see what I'm getting myself into."

Yagow sighed, pulling on his graying beard. The years had taken a toll on him, giving him hard lines on his face and salt and pepper hair. But the years hadn't stolen that little spark that danced through his eyes whenever he looked at his daughter. "You're too smart for me. Hurry up and get ready. We can't be late."

"Thank you, thank you!" Asake said happily. She threw her arms around her father's shoulders. He didn't laugh, but she could tell he was smiling. "You won't regret this!"