Prologue prt 2

Two weeks later:

I was dressed in all black. Today was my parents' funeral. Huh never thought I would say that so early in life. I walked through the church holding my brother's hand.

We sat in front and I was emotionless throughout the ceremony and the burial. I accepted all the condolences and the pitiful smiles. All the "you'll get better with time," and "call us if you need anything."

I didn't care if I was a statue through this whole event. All I know was that it was my fault and I don't deserve the privilege to grieve.

It was supposed to be me six feet under not my parents.

After the funeral, I got into the car with my brother and we drove until I came to a hotel. I got my brother out of the car and we rode the elevator up to that last floor.

The doors opened and I saw my aunt sitting on the sofa, she was talking to other family members. I didn't want to be here, so I handed  Teague to my aunt saying that I'll be back and left the hotel.

I kept walking until I came to the police station. I asked for Detective Simmons and sat down waiting for her.

She walked in and motioned me to follow her. We walked into the interview room and sat.

"Why are you here Kris, shouldn't you be grieving with your family?" She asked me, her voice soft like honey, she looked at me her eyes filled with pity.

"Please don't look at me like that okay, I don't deserve your pity or to grieve. This is all my fault. I'm the one who's supposed to be dead not my parents." I said my voice croaking at the end.

"Why is that Kris?" She asked while placing her hands on top of mine.

"Because you were right, it wasn't a normal robbery, they were looking for me, for this," I said and handed her a flash drive.

She looked at it then at me.

"I didn't know it was wrong, okay, my boyfriend well ex-boyfriend wanted me to hack into these computers, I never asked why and if I did he said that they had something on him or that he lost some files something so. I didn't know that I was hacking some gang's interface and gathering intel on them, I swear," I paused before taking a deep breath.

 "They were encrypted and he always told me that he would handle it from there. I know that he was in a gang, but he said that he wasn't important, just a seller on the streets, sometimes he would transport the drugs, he kept telling that they threatened to kill his family if he didn't cooperate with them. He saw the leader kill a man one night, he was at the wrong place at the wrong time and instead of killing him the leader decided to use him," I told her.

She looked at me and I kept going.

"He never came to pick it up since I was still working on it and ever since the incident I started to decrypt them and saw why they came to my house. They wanted it because of Nuca my ex, he blackmailed them, however, he sent it from my computer," I told her keeping my gaze on the table.

"So they were able to trace it back to me. He lied to me about everything, about the threat, about his position, he just used me but I'm more disgusted at myself for believing him," Tears were streaming down my face as I remembered seeing my parents' dead bodies, they're dead because of me.

I looked down at the table and heard the door opened. "You requested a laptop partner?" A deep voice asked and I looked up to see Cindy's eldest brother, Jared.

"Krissy, what are you doing here?" He asked as he sat down. I didn't meet his eyes, I couldn't meet his eyes.

"Jay, I think your friend has finally given us the intel we need to take down the ring we've been looking at." My head snapped up at what she said.

After going through the flash drive and making a few calls, they called me back into their office.

"Are you sure you want to do this Kristina, your life is going to change a lot." She told me after we discussed what would happen if I went through with giving them this intel if I testify against Nuca.

"Yes I know and I want to do it, it's my fault for bringing pain to my family and I'll feel a lot better if Nuca is behind bars where he belongs," I said determined to get justice for my family.

"We may not catch the people who killed your parents yet but we'll stop these people from hurting other families." She said and I nod.

I'm ready to face my consequences, I got myself into this and I'm gonna get myself out.