Chapter Two: An Escape

Dedicated to Itz_Bat for being such an active commenter and reading my previous chapter just after it came out!

_____

From that day on, Sam wasn't as hard on Ally. He respected her trust of him and the way she coped with the bullying, to make a joke out of it all. He respected the way that she bottled up her emotions, how easy is it to actually do that? he wondered. Ally had only ever let them out in school once. She hadn't even cried when she tore a ligament in year 4.

Ally respected Sam too, she noticed his change towards her, never contributing any more to the spiteful comments made by Tori. Unfortunately though, Tori seemed to notice this as well, "You've been very quiet today Sam, don't you have anything to say about Ally's new hairstyle?" Ally had her hair in a high ponytail, experimenting with her ginger locks. "Personally I think it doesn't suit her at all. Not with her podgy face, ugh." Sam could see Ally fingering her face, podgy was nothing like what he saw. She had bony cheekbones and freckles speckled sparingly over her nose and cheeks.

They locked eyes for a moment and Ally made a face as if to say 'It's ok, just say what you think...' Ok!

"The high cheekbones actually go quite nicely with the high ponytail."

"Ha! You're such a joke Sam!" As Tori was saying this, Ally was running.

Running away.

Taking his eyes off Tori, Sam glanced in that direction just in time to see her ponytail disappearing over the fence.

**  

Later, at afternoon register, Miss Munnings called out Ally's name but no-one answered. She looked around the class, and seeing that she wasn't there, asked everyone who had seen her last. There was silence and then Lola spoke up, "I saw her, she climbed up the school fence and ran away."

Within five minutes, two more had people confessed to seeing her run away. The teacher immediately asked for someone to go down to reception and tell them. Sam's hand shot up and he was asked to do it. On the way down there, he nervously bit his fingernails. He knew what he was going to say, he was just afraid he might not be brave enough to say it.

Finally, the wait was up. "Miss Munnings sent me down here to report that Ally Leaves is missing. There were three reports from people in our class saying that they saw her jump over the fence and run away. I think I know why she ran away."

"Why?" The receptionist was kind and reasonable.

"I got angry with her and threatened to beat her up..." Sam tried to look worried, "I shouldn't have done it. I never actually meant to hurt her but I think she must have been scared, (who wouldn't?) and ran away."

"Ok, well that wasn't a good idea, was it? She should have told a teacher too, not ran away. There will be punishments for both of you but thank you for telling me." She spoke gently.

"I don't think its a good idea to call her parents either. They don't like to pick up the phone at work."

"I'm afraid we'll still have to call them, they will like to know if their daughter is wandering around on the streets on her own but thank you for telling me. You'd better get up to class to now, hurry along."

_____

So... Chapter two is published, stay active to have a chapter dedicated to YOU next time xxx

Thanks to all you dedicated readers and I'm sorry that I will have to publish next week's chapter on Sunday instead because I'm going to be away on a school residential. It should be fun tho...

Also, sorry it's short, I'll try to make the others longer 🙃