Chapter 28

"You ready to have some fun?" Logan asked with a wry chuckle as he and Rory stood at the door to the Huntzberger mansion.  His parents had put together a small dinner party with themselves, the Haydens, and the Gilmores to celebrate Rory and Logan's new living arrangements.  Emily and Shira had called in a tizzy about a week after the dinner at Rory and Logan's apartment and insisted that their "more permanent commitment" to each other needed to be celebrated.  Rory and Logan managed to put them off long enough to be able to get their revenge on the meddling Shira and Emily.  They had plotted with Lorelai, Christopher, and Richard to put a plan into place.

"I'm ready for anything as long as I'm by your side," Rory replied with a saucy wink toward Logan.

He leaned over and gave her a quick kiss.  "I'll always be by your side," he whispered.  He then opened the door and gently led her into the house he grew up in but visited as seldom as possible.  Frankly, he'd already become closer to Chris and Lorelai than he was to his own parents. 

He stopped and handed their coats off to the maid, thanking her before he and Rory walked into the sitting room to begin their evening with the families.

"Oh, there you two are!" Shira gushed.  "Do come and sit.  Mitchum, can you get the kids drinks?  I assume a scotch for Logan and a martini for Rory?" she asked, eyeing Rory.

"Oh, no martini for me, thank you.  I'd better stick to a club soda, but thank you.  I'm afraid I'll be even more nauseated if I drink."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, dear.  Have you been feeling unwell long?" Emily asked, exchanging a look with Shira.

"Just the last few days.  It seems to be at its worst in the mornings and right after eating," Rory replied, leading their thoughts right where she wanted them to go. 

"The only thing that seems to help is fruit...she's actually been craving apples," Logan added, knowing that Emily would immediately connect that with Lorelai's cravings while she was pregnant. 

"Oh my, I'm so sorry," Shira cooed, almost making Rory start laughing.  This was just too easy.

"You know, kiddo, I couldn't eat enough apples when I was pregnant with you," Lorelai threw in, knowing that Shira wouldn't have any way to know that otherwise.

"I remember that," Chris chuckled.  "I'd never seen you eat one before you got pregnant, and I haven't seen you eat another since she was born."

"Fruit is not food," Lorelai deadpanned, causing everyone to laugh.

"I do believe dinner is ready.  Shall we move to the table?" Mitchum asked, completely in the dark about the importance of the conversation going on.

The group all proceeded to the dining room where Rory continued to play along with their little ruse, picking at her food and claiming that the smells were too much for her.  In truth, she had eaten a double cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, a piece of pie, and a shake from Luke's before coming to the Huntzbergers'.  They had all agreed that she would never be able to pull off her act if she was hungry.

They'd been sitting at the table long enough for everyone to be into their meals when Rory suddenly jumped up and rushed to the guest restroom.

"Pardon me," Logan said as he folded his napkin and placed it on the table.  "I need to go check on her."  He left the table quickly, feigning concern over Rory's state, and joined her in the restroom.

"I can't believe them - they're buying it," Rory giggled quietly after they'd locked the door behind them. 

"How long do you think it will take for one of them to slip up and admit what they did?" Logan asked.