Chapter 5

Rory took a deep breath as she slid to the open limo door.  She had been to enough society events to know what she needed to do once she exited the limo.  She needed to look like she belonged on that red carpet with this man or the press would eat them alive.  Putting her best society smile in place, she reached out and took Logan's waiting hand to help her out of the limo. 

As Rory came to rest next to Logan, he placed his arm loosely around her waist and ushered her into the restaurant as flashes went off all around them capturing the first official picture of the new couple.  When they entered the restaurant he was greeted by name and and they were seated immediately, despite the people who were already waiting for the table.

"Mr. Huntzberger, Miss Hayden, your waiter will be right over.  Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything that I can to do make your evening more enjoyable," said the maitre'd as he seated the couple in a quiet corner booth and turned to walk away.

"Very impressive, Mr. Huntzberger.  This will certainly get the word out," Rory said quietly as they settled into their seats.

"Ah, anything for my beautiful girlfriend," Logan replied with his dazzling smile.

"Logan, really, you don't have to -" Rory said before he cut her off.

"Nonsense, dear.  In public, you are my girlfriend, and we are in public, are we not?"

"Of course," she said after a pause.  "Thank you, Logan."

Honestly, she wasn't quite sure what to make of Logan's behavior.  She felt comfortable around him, but she was a bit thrown off by just how easily he fell into the role of a committed boyfriend.  It almost seemed as though he was sincere when he complimented her.  Then there was that moment back at her house.  He had looked truly awed and speechless as she had walked down the stairs to meet him. 

Looking around the room, Rory saw Mayor Bradford and his wife, Senator Johnson and his wife and daughters, and several local celebrities.  They were certainly in the right place to make a splash in Hartford society and be seen by the media.

Conversation flowed easily between the couple as he sipped his scotch and she sipped her martini while waiting for their meals.

"So Ace, I read your pieces in the Yale Daily News.  You're a very talented journalist."

"Thank you.  Which article did you read?"

"All of them," he said with a smirk.

"You read all of my articles?  What?  When?" asked Rory.

Logan laughed as he replied, "Yes, I read them all today.  I looked them up.  I thought it would be a good idea to see what my girlfriend has written.  Very impressive, Ace.  You'll definitely be on the short list for offers from several newspapers after graduation."

"Wow, Logan.  Thank you.  I...wait, why do you keep saying ace?" she asked.

"Think about it, Rory.  Ace...reporter...is it becoming clear now?  Seemed like an appropriate nickname for my girlfriend."

"Oh!" Rory answered with a shy blush.  "Wow, sometimes I can be a bit slow to catch things.  So, Ace, huh?  And what should I call you?" she said with a flirty look in her eyes.

"Mmm...dashingly handsome?"

"Try conceited," replied Rory.

"You injure me, Ace," he said as he laughed.  "Perhaps man of your dreams?"

"Nice try, Logan.  Next?"

"How about Master and Commander?"

"The movie?" asked Rory.