Chapter 4

Rory was kicking herself all the way up to her bedroom.  She really hadn't thought this through well, but there was no time to look back right now.  The contract had been signed and she was going to have to make the best of it.  It's not like she was going to fall at his feet like other women; she was more than capable of resisting Logan's charm.  Sure, he was easy on the eyes, but she hardly worried about falling for him.  She preferred someone with depth, someone who could make her laugh and challenge her.

Peeking through her door, she saw Logan pouring through her book shelf.

"Find anything you want to borrow?" she asked with a grin.

"You weren't kidding about your love for books, were you?" he asked.

"No, I was not.  And if you think that's something, you'll really marvel at my love for coffee.  Give me a cup of coffee and a good book and I can get lost for hours."

"Is that so?" Logan asked.  "Well, I will have to ensure that I keep you properly supplied with coffee when we're together.  You might never come out of the library at my parents' house if I ever showed it to you."

"Is that so, Mr. Huntzberger?" Rory answered with a glint in her eyes."Now, shall we chat?"

"Sure, what's first on your agenda?" he answered with his trademark smirk. 

"Well, let's get to know each other a bit better.  Tell me about the friends you normally hang out with."

"My friends?  Alright, there's Collin, who I've known since birth.  He's a little uptight, but he would do anything for me.  And there's Finn.  He's a crazy Australian who has a thing for redheads.  Then there's Steph.  She and I have known each other for years; she's really like a sister to me.  There's Robert, when I can actually stand him, and Seth and Rosemary and Juliet.  And then there are a bunch more people who I know and do things with, but I don't consider to be close friends.  You?"

"Hmm...my list isn't as long.  Lane has been my best friend since kindergarten.  She lives in Stars Hollow, which is where my mom's inn is.  She's been there for me every day since kindergarten.  I actually miss getting to see her more often.  And then there's Paris.  We met at Chilton, where she made my life a living hell.  She had a crush on Tristan, and he had a crush on me.  It wasn't pleasant.  But somehow we eventually managed to become friends.  You'll want to watch out for her; she's scary." Rory said with a laugh.  "And then there's the aforementioned Tristan.  I hated him when we met, but we reconnected after he came back from military school and became extremely close."

"Is there anything going on with this Tristan?" Logan asked.

"No.  No, definitely nothing going on.  I mean, I used to kind of have a thing for him, but that's long in the past.  Now we're just great friends," she responded.

"Any boyfriend?" Logan asked.

"You mean other than you?" Rory said as she laughed.  "No, no other boyfriend.  I'm kind of a one-man woman, really.  I dated a couple of guys in high school, but haven't really seen anyone seriously since I started at Yale last year.  You?"

"Uh, no.  No boyfriends for me," Logan said as he laughed.

"You know what I meant!  Girlfriend?"

"No, none outside of the blue-eyed beauty sitting across from me right now," Logan responded.

"Seriously?" Rory asked as she blushed.  "There's no need to turn on the charm, Huntzberger."

"Not turning on the charm, just being honest.  It's one of my faults, actually.  I'm always honest."