T is for Trauma

||T is for trauma.. um...I mean trust

"So, this isn't awkward at all" mumbled Tony rolling his eyes as the teenagers shuffled into the room.

"Meet the Avengers" stated Fury staring down at them with his one beady eye.

"we're not going to hurt you" said Steve noticing their tense postures, "you came to us for help".

"And why did you come to us? Why do you need the Avengers help?" asked Fury studying each of the teens individually. "You took a lot of effort to get here. Breaking into a top-secret building isn't exactly easy. So, before I ask you how you did it, I want to know why you need the help of Earths mightiest heroes?"

The teenagers kept quiet, casting odd glances between themselves.

*

Now the delay was from Piper. She was trying to come up with a lie, a good one that would be easy for all of them to use as a cover story.

After a few minutes she spoke up.

"We need your help because the world is in danger. Something is coming to New York that could destroy the planet-"

"-Something?" interrupted Fury his eyebrows raised.

"-Yeah Something" said Piper carrying on. "Look, We we're sent to get your help, please. We will have to work together or we will fail".

"You might fail without us, but kid, we've beaten many weird enemies. It couldn't be worse than anything we've done before" said Tony licking his ice cream nonchalantly.

"Oh, it could be" said Leo speaking up from the right of Piper.

"You, want us, to help you defeat something, even though you won't trust us enough to tell us what something is?" questioned an adult with dark blond hair. He was one of the adults who had pulled a gun on Hazel earlier and before this point he hadn't really spoken up in the conversation.

"We can't tell you, ok?. If we say, we die".

Piper spoke again easing charmspeak into her words. The first part of their quest was to get the mortals to trust them, after that, they would reveal the whole truth.

"You're safe here" said Red head.

"We're not safe anywhere".

The adults paused to looked at Nico.

He had been silent through the whole conversation, staring at the floor as if he was watching something. Barely blinking, hardly breathing with dim eyes.

Slowly he dragged his gaze upwards and scrutinised the room, taking time to look at each of the adults.

Hazel couldn't help but notice how desolate his eyes looked.

"We're never safe, ok? You're going to have to trust us and that's the bottom line" continued Nico looking back at the floor. "we came to you for help not for you to be over suspicious".

"Over suspicious keeps you alive" responded Fury, his voice grave.

"We came to you for help, don't let it be in vain" repeated Nico, his eyes locking with the floor once more.

A silence moved through the room.

"I say we trust them".

"WHAT! ARE YOU MAD!" shouted Tony throwing what was left of his ice cream over his shoulder. "TRUST THE STRANGE KIDS THAT LITERALLY BROKE INTO THE BUILDING!?"