The Thunder Storm

"Here we are, milady," Sonic gracefully bows, his long nose almost touching the sandy ground. He straightens himself out and looks to the sky, smiling. You gaze up as well, peering at the few tiny stars that are not obscured by cloud cover. A drop of water splashes in your eye, causing you to squeeze it shut in discomfort and rub it with a fist. Sonic quietly snickers but stops as a raindrop lands inside his ear.

        "Ack!" he shrieks, furiously digging into his ear with a gloved finger. "Looks like it's gettin' a bit wet," he announces, stating the obvious. You raise your brows.

        "Oh really?" 

        The hedgehog closes his eyes and sticks his tongue out. "I should probably be going before the rain gets too bad," he says with a shrug. "I shall return in the morning!"

        Sonic lifts his leg, ready to dash off into the forest. Suddenly, a rumble of thunder echoes throughout the sky, announcing the arrival of the immediately thick, pouring rain. At the sound of the thunder your body jolts, (e/c) eyes wide in panic. You bolt into the house and race to the bedroom, leaving the front door wide open. The moment you see the bed you dive for it, wrapping the covers tightly around your body. You lie stiffly on the mattress, frozen in fear. Fast-paced footsteps are heard in the hallway as Sonic rushes in.

        "(Y/n)!" He shouts with concern. "You alright? What's wrong?"

        "I-I'm fine, Sonic," your voice falters through chattering teeth. "See you t-to...see you tomorrow." The hedgehog gawps at you with an expression saying, "Are you crazy!" He rapidly shakes his head and brings his communicator to his face.

        "There's no way I'm leaving you like this. I'm calling Tails and telling him that I'll be staying the night." So he does just that. 

        "Tails! I'll see ya in the morning, bud. (Y/n) needs a little company tonight." 

        A young voice cuts through the static of the watch. "Why? Is the thunder sca—" Sonic turns off the device, cutting off his friend's question.

        The bedframe creaks in protest as Sonic hefts himself up to sit beside your shaking form. He pats your side and you find the courage to peek up at him through the covers. "Y-You can go h-home...I'm fi-fine." The boy furrows his eyebrows and gives you a stern look.

        "You're afraid of thunder!" he cries out, throwing his hands up in the air for emphasis.

        "No!" you object. "I'm just...tired."

        "Mhmm," Sonic hums in a clearly disbelieving tone. He gets up from the bed to turn out all the lights in the house and lock all the doors, returning to your side within a few seconds. "I already told Tails I'd be staying. Also, I don't feel like running out in the pouring rain at the moment." Still, you insist that he leaves, that you're alright. "No. I'm staying."

        Sonic jumps on the mattress and leans with his back against the wall. Oh, geez! Your face blushes a bright pink within the confines of the (f/a) blanket. Too...close. You can hardly even think of describing this feeling, with Sonic lying so near. Slowly you poke your nose out into the air and nervously whisper, "Sonic, uh...can you scoot—?"

        A crash of thunder, and a bright light momentarily fills the room. Yelping, you pull your head under the covers, shaking from fright. After a few awkward moments of silence, you feel Sonic rest his head on your body. Your muscles tense on contact. You hold your breath.

        "It's alright," Sonic gently murmurs, his voice sounding as if it only an inch away from your ear. "Everyone gets scared. I'll be here for you, no matter what the problem." Calming a little, you allow your body to relax and you take a deep breath. Lifting your head to peek out, you come face to face with the hedgehog. Emerald eyes are huge in your vision; Sonic is super close! Both of you blush at the same time and Sonic moves away. "Sorry, I forgot you don't really like contact." He nervously looks in the opposite direction.

        With a sigh, you quietly say, "It's fine."

        Another rumble of thunder echoes throughout Mobius. You flinch and instinctively squeeze your eyes shut, clutching tightly at the blanket. Large, warm hands cover your ears, blocking out almost all sound. Sonic shimmies nearer and you soon feel your nose pressed up against his chest. He holds you that way until the both of you drift off to sleep, the rainstorm just a distant echo in your memories.