To Warm a Dark Heart

The dark shadows of the forest engulf a blurry blue shape as it speeds away. You watch it disappear, your arm raised in a continuous goodbye wave. Once your friend is out of view you set your arm down and lift your head to the glistening sky. The half-moon shines very brightly, making your (e/c) eyes glow in its luminosity. Your limbs twitch slightly and you feel a strange buzzing sensation. Maybe I ate too many cookies, you wonder. Although the tingling feeling in your arms, legs, and teeth is bizarre, you are in quite a pleasant mood. There are just a few more chocolate chip cookies left on the tray, excluding the one now being held in your left hand. 

        With the sweets on your mind, you turn toward the back door of the (f/c) house, where you had seen Sonic off, and you reach for the shiny doorknob. You stop though, hearing a rustle in the forest from behind. The memory of a movement in the dining room window causes your eyes to lighten in excitement. Is it the (f/a)?! Cookie in hand, you close your mouth and slow your quickened breathing, before carefully sneaking to the edge of the woods.

        Upon reaching the forest, you pinpoint the source of the rustling to be from a few large, leafy bushes. As you get closer you spot a familiar spiky figure rising from the foliage. Black fur, red stripes, white tuft on the chest, complete with the piercing crimson eyes. You are at a loss for words. Why the heck is he behind my house?

        "Um...Shadow?" you hesitantly whisper, not wanting to break the peaceful silence of the wilderness. The black hedgehog looks you in the eyes for a second, before glancing around himself, as if scanning the area for somebody else. His gaze then returns to you.

        "I suppose that's me. What do you want?" he rudely asks while crossing his arms. The former menace seems to be regaining some of his usual vibe. 

        You ponder this with a little worry until you realize that your mind is wandering while the hedgehog waits for your answer. Getting straight to the point you ask, "Why are you hiding behind my house?" Shadow's eyes narrow at you in defiance.

        "Hmph. I'm just passing through. Am I not permitted to travel through unclaimed forest?"

        His bold expression begins to waver a little, showing through a hint of sadness. He must still be homeless, you assume. You awkwardly shift between both feet, not knowing what to do or say...until Shadow spots the cookie in your hand, hunger showing in his eyes.

        Stretching your hand toward him, you ask, "Would you...like a cookie?"

        The black hedgehog seems shocked with your offer. He raises his red eyes to your (e/c) ones with a confused, yet slightly suspicious expression. However, he eventually does take the cookie, becoming inexpressive once more. With the cookie given you stare at the ground and nervously scratch your arm. Looking back you can see that Shadow stands empty-handed. He must be extremely hungry. You decide to give away the rest of the treats. Timidly you gesture for the man to follow you to the back door. Shadow just glares from the bushes, his crimson irises gleaming in anger. Feeling your heartrate increase, you wonder what you had done to anger him. Backing away, you see the hedgehog seems to be off in his own world, confliction evidently on his mind.

        In a tiny voice you squeak, "Sorry, I'll leave you alone now," and you race out of the forest. Moments later you reach the back door of the house and swing it open. With a quick glance back you are surprised to see that Shadow had followed. 

        He looks you straight in the eye and growls, "As you can see, I am quite desperate."

        Nodding, you allow the dark hedgehog into your home and show him to the tray lying on the kitchen counter. He doesn't say anything, he just snatches all the cookies and scarfs them down, back turned away from you. Your (e/c) eyes widen at the sight. This brings up the question: What has Shadow been doing all this time? You feel a burning gaze boring into your head, and you notice that Shadow is staring. A few brown crumbs roll off the corner of his mouth, dropping into his white chest fur. The hedgehog slowly and deliberately wipes the crumbs away with a scowl.

        "I hope you realize that sharing your cavity-inducing fare does not make our acquaintance." You sarcastically huff and think, Who would want to be friends with someone so dark, brooding, and who used to be a power-hungry maniac? Shadow straightens his back and eyes the back door behind you. He grumbles, "I suppose I should be grateful that with your help I've survived for so long...even if your meals are completely without nutrition." The hedgehog pushes past you, making way for the door.

        "Wait," you blurt out. Shadow twirls around with an eyebrow raised. You nervously play with your fingers, the skin under your (y/c) fur growing hot. "If—if you have nowhere to go...you can stay here for the night." Feeling shy you look down to avoid eye-contact, ears flat against your head. The air is tense and silent; extremely awkward.

        Finally, after it felt like time had stopped for ages, you hear, "Very well." Oh, he actually accepted. That was definitely unexpected.

        "Okay, uh...over here please," your voice quivers a little as you walk across the house to a door set across from your own bedroom. Footsteps echoing behind you tell that Shadow is following, so you reach for the door handle and twist it open. Inside is a guest bedroom that is set up but has never been used. A while ago you had thought to put a bed in this extra room, just in case any of your friends decided to stay over.

        The guest room is quite empty other than a wooden dresser that matches with the (f/c) walls and floors, a white lamp standing in the corner, and a single bed that has a smooth, puffy, blue blanket just skimming the floor. Looking to the side you can see Shadow sneering at the sight of the blue bed. You know he's thinking of the "faker," but you don't comment on it. The hedgehog saunters into the room while you stay outside the doorway.

        You mumble, "So...here. Um—"

        "This is for one night only," Shadow's raspy voice interrupts. "I'll be gone by sunrise."

        You close your eyes as the door is slammed shut. A swift breeze blows your (y/c) fur back, and your nose is pressed up against the wood. Opening your eyes you silently growl, Seriously? Glaring at the hedgehog hidden on the other side of the door, you turn around and head back to the kitchen. There you place the empty cookie tray into the sink and scrub it with a soft sponge, before placing it back in the original cabinet. Afterward you travel throughout the house turning off lights, and you arrive to your bedroom. When the door is closed you leap into bed and kick off your (f/c) shoes. Then you crawl underneath the soft covers and cuddle your treasured (f/a) blanket. I can't believe I'm letting Shadow stay in my own home, you think, before falling asleep.