The Songbirds

Prologue 

There she was. The girl who only went out of her house to grab her mail at three in the afternoon. The girl who looked as if she just rolled out of bed with the short layers of her long brunette hair sticking up in multiple direction. The girl with the polka dot shots and matching red top with fluffy bunny slippers. The girl who chose this exact moment to pick up her mail.

Then enter the new guy next door, leaving his own house to get his own mail. But as he closed the door to the house, his electric blue eyes were trained on the girl next door. Maybe it was the way the sun shone down on her to highlight the golden undertones of her tangled her, or maybe it was the way there was a slight hop to her step when she walked. Either way, he was drawn to her. There was something unusual about her, but he couldn't quite put a finger on it. All he knew was that she looked adorable at first sight. 

And it was in that moment that he felt compelled to do something. He was never the one to act impulse, but his mind acted on its own for once. "Hey neighbor," he called casually, shocking himself at hearing his easy going tone.

Hearing a masculine voice, she snapped her head towards the direction of the source. Upon seeing the only presence near her, she waved a simple salutations to the boy next door. The said boy motioned her to come closer and she followed. 

Now, there they stood. Standing in front of each other with a small white picketed fence separating the two. The boy and the girl not saying anything, yet looking directly at each other. They did not realize the beats of silence that was passing by but it did not feel uncomfortable at all. In fact, the girl felt completely comfortable standing there in her pjs. As for the opposite gender, he felt this odd sensation: it was as if his heart and mind were discussing, not debating, a life altering matter.

After a few minutes of swimming in each other's eyes, the girl raised her right brow at him. He simply did not call her over just to stare at her. 'I guess he just wanted to meet his neighbor,' she thought. At that moment, she wanted to snort out loud and make a 'Girl Next Door' joke like that he wanted to ask her for a cup of sugar.

If only she knew what was going to come out of his mouth next...

He cleared his throat to get her attention, but the moment she focused on him- he blanked. He clearly didn't have anything to say. It seemed as if the whole thinking process of his mind had shut down this morning and he let his animalistic, impulsive section take over for once. So his mouth and vocal chords decide to act on their own for once and blurt out the one thing he did not expect.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Sure," she giggled. "Why not? You seem like a nice guy." 

"I'm sorry! We just barely just meet I shouldn't- What?"

"Why not? You seem like a nice guy. This is a bit unconventional, but that's what got me to say my answer."

"I am a nice guy and you have nothing to worry about." The boy couldn't help but grin at her. "Anyway, I'm Jacen- a.k.a. your new neighbor and your new boyfriend."

"I think we're doing this all wrong," she laughed. "Most people introduce each other before they ask each other out. I don't feel like telling you my name yet." 

"Don't be mean," Jacen frowned. "Shouldn't I know the name of the girl I'm currently dating? What am I suppose to call you? The girl next door?"  

She choose not to answer his questions. "Give me your cell phone," she commanded. 

Jacen took out his phone and his new girlfriend snatched it out of his hands. He watched her callused fingers touched the screen of his phone. She handed his phone back to him and said, "I put my number on your phone. I put myself as Girlfriend and it has a little heart right next to it so that you know who I am. So cute, right?" 

Without even saying goodbye, she skipped back into her house and left a gaping Jacen frozen in his spot. He was confused at the whole ordeal that just happened.

 He watched her as her hair swung side to side, giving him a glimpse of the intricate tattoo on her her back. He couldn't see the whole picture, but new knew one thing for sure: he saw the wings of a bird. 

With that, she skipped back into her house and left Jacen gaping at her retreating back. He watched as her hair swing side to side, and it gave him a glimpse of the colorful tattoos on her back. Jacen didn't see the whole picture, but he saw the wings of a bird.

 ~*~*~

Once she was in the comfort of her own home, she locked the front door and slid to the ground. She felt absolutely giddy on the inside and couldn't help the giggles escape her mouth. The college student felt as if she was seven year old school girl who just scored getting hugged by her biggest crush.

She quickly ran to her room and grabbed her phone off of her bed. She loved living in a small house all by herself because it didn't take that much effort to move around the whole place. Her phone vibrated in her hands and an unknown numbered appeared on the screen. It was a text message from her new boyfriend. 

Boyfriend. 

Just the thought of having a boyfriend made her go into a fit of giggles again. It's been a long time since she's been in a relationship and she was not planning on dating anytime soon. She was pretty surprised by her new boyfriend. He did something sudden and just asked her out of no where. It was something completely different and unorthodox. Just the way she likes it.

He was something refreshing to her. She doesn't know anything about her boyfriend other the way he looks, the sound of his voice and his name. So far, she likes every single about him.

Her favorite eye color is blue and she would do anything to trade in her generic brown ones. His eyes were electric blue and she loved the spark that she saw in his eyes. She wanted to run her hand through his soft wavy hair. She was a sucker for guys with nice hair and she was happy that her new beau had just that. 

His voice. Oh, his voice. It sounded like sex to her ears. She could only describe it as chocolate. His voice was smooth and enchanting in a way. He was sweet when he talked to her and she just wanted more. 

Ever since she was a little girl, she has always been fascinated with the letter 'J'. It was her favorite letter in the alphabet and she was just straight up attracted to any name that started with that letter. Jacen. The perfect name for her boyfriend. 

She was too busy with her thoughts that she almost forgot to check her new message. She quickly saved the number on her phone and put it under "Boyfriend <3".  

___________________________________________

From: Boyfriend <3 

Hey Girlfriend! Okay, I'm not trying to sound flamboyant right now, but you are my girlfriend. So are you going to tell me your name now? 

___________________________________________

To: Boyfriend <3 

Hi Jacen! I'm going to turn you into a stalker for now. You can try to guess my name, but I doubt that you can. My nickname is Songbird so you can call me by that. At least for now ;D

__________________________________________

~*~*~*~*~*~

 Wooo! New story! So this chapter is dedicated to @undecided_desire because she made this banner for me. She's also one of my wattpad buddies <3 

I know that this is a short chapter, but that's because it's the beginning and I like the way that it ended. I'm planning for this to be a short story too so yeah. 

-Comment: tell me what you think! Also, tell me if you spot any errors because I'm too lazy to proof read this and edit it all by myself. 

 -Vote: Why? Because it would make me feel better. 

-Fan: I don't bite... hard ;D 

~xoxo Ria