The one with the phone call

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" Kaitlyn said, sniffling.

"Kaitlyn?" Austin's voice waivered from the other end of the line.

"Austin, what's going on? Please, just- whatever it is- let me help you," Kaitlyn cried into the phone.

"I'm sorry Kait, but this is just something I need to handle on my own," Austin said, making Kaitlyn's eyes start gushing again.

"Don't say it," Kaitlyn said quietly, knowing where this talk was headed.

"I think-"

"Don't say it Austin, please," Kaitlyn begged.

"I think we need to take a break," Austin said, each word making both his and Kaitlyn's hearts ache.

"No," Kaitlyn whispered, her voice breaking.

"I'm sorry Kait," Austin said, shedding a few tears.

"No," Kaitlyn whimpered.

"I love you Kaitlyn; I always will," Austin said, his voice quivering.

"No, Austin," Kaitlyn said as the call ended, disconnecting her from Austin.

Kaitlyn shut her phone off before throwing it to the other end of the couch, breaking down in tears. She threw her head into her hands as the other two women in the room shared a concerned look.

"It's over, we're done," Kaitlyn sobbed.

Taylor rushed to pull her sister into a hug while Hailee rubbed Kaitlyn's back.

The three girls sat like that for seven minutes, letting Kaitlyn cry it out until Andrea entered the room in search of Taylor.

"Kaitlyn?" She said, rushing to her youngest daughter. "Baby, what happened?"

"Mom," Kaitlyn cried, launching into her mother's arms.

"Kaitlyn, baby, use your words, tell me what happened," Andrea said as Kaitlyn's breaths became short and fast.

"Au-Austin," Kaitlyn stuttered, struggling to catch her breath.

"Oh my god," Andrea muttered, running her hand up and down her daughter's back.

"What am I going to do without him?" Kaitlyn asks no one in particular.

"Kaitlyn, you don't need him. In fact, you're too good for him so you know what you're going to do?" Taylor said, standing up in front of her sister.

"What?" Kaitlyn sniffled, looking up at her sister.

"You're going to clean up then you're going to go out there and sing with me in a beautiful dress and show him what he's missing out on," Taylor said confidently.

"What?" Kaitlyn said, wiping her eyes.

"You heard me, pick a song," Taylor said, smiling lightly.

"I do-I don't know Tay, I don't really feel like singing right now," Kaitlyn said.

"Oh come on Kait, go up there and sing with your sister," Hailee said, standing next to Taylor. "It'll make you feel better."

"I guess," Kaitlyn said, taking a shaky breath.

"Perfect, now what song should we sing?" Taylor asked, cracking a small smile.

"All Too Well?" Kaitlyn suggested.

"Okay," Taylor said, nodding while working it out in her head.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"And now I would like to welcome out one of the strongest people I know, my sister, Kaitlyn Swift!" Taylor yelled to the audience.

Kaitlyn walked out, onto the stage as everyone cheered for her.

"Hey guys, I know I've seen a couple of you out there tonight and can I just say that your outfits are amazing!" Kaitlyn said, making everyone break out into cheers.

"We're going to sing a song that Kait actually picked and it means a lot to both of us in different ways. I've always had a hard time with this song because as it says in the title I remember it all too well," Taylor said as the intro to the song started.

"I walked through the door with you, the air was cold," Taylor began to sing. "But something 'bout it felt like home somehow and I, left my scarf there at your sister's house and you still got it in your drawer even now."

"Oh your sweet disposition and my wide eyed gaze, we're singing in the car getting lost Upstate. The autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place and I can picture it after all these days," Kaitlyn sang sadly. You could hear the sorrow dripping off her voice like rain off a roof.

"And I know it's long gone and that magic's not here no more and I might me okay but I'm not fine at all, ooh ooh ooh," the girls sing together.

The crowd was in awe of how good the two sisters' voices sounded together as they both sang to release their emotions.

As the song came to a close, Taylor  looked her sister in her tear brimmed eyes.

"It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well," Kaitlyn finished as a single tear ran down her face. She bowed for the audience before rushing off the stage to meet Hailee by the side of the stage.

Hailee caught her best friend in her arms letting the redhead cry her eyes out onto the brunette's shoulder.

"I lost him, Hailee, I lost him and he's never going to come back," Kaitlyn cried, as Hailee led her back to the dressing rooms.

"Don't say that Kait, he'll be back here next week and I'm sure you guys will work everything out then," Hailee assured the other girl.

"I can't see him next week, it'll be too much. What did I do wrong? Why did he break up with me?" Kaitlyn asked.

"Kait," Hailee said sympathetically.

"Am I not pretty enough? Did I get fat? Did he hear me sing and hate me?"

"Kaitlyn! Stop, you did not do anything. You are beautiful and skinny and kind and you have an amazing voice. If he couldn't see that, he was too dumb for you anyway," Hailee said before giving her best friend a hug.

Despite Hailee's kind words, all Kaitlyn could think was what did she do wrong?