Part 1

AN: Okay, so this came to me when I was listening to How deep is your love by the Bee Gees and I got thinking. It was originally supposed to be a oneshot but the plot got out of hand. I have no set update times for this story since I just a few hours ago finished this chapter. But never fear this will be finished!!  

Chapter 1

June 20 1791 - Tuileries Palace, Paris, France

Astrid hummed as she dusted the table in one of the many drawing rooms that the Tuileries Palace had. An elegant porcelain vase sat upon the low table and Astrid was careful to pick it up slowly. She would be in big trouble with the Madame if she broke it.

"Mademoiselle Astrid" A deep voice called, startling Astrid. She luckily managed to not drop the vase. With a sigh she put it back down on the table and then turned around to see who had called her.

"Monseigneur Baschet." She greeted. Internally she wondered what Jean-François Baschet, a Chevalier of the French court and staunch supporter of King Louis, could even want from a simple maid.

"Mademoiselle Astrid, your country needs you." Monseigneur Baschet stated as he held his head high. His feathered hat he carried under his arm as he gave her a slight bow which was uncommon for someone of his stature to do when speaking to a simple servant.

"Monseigneur, could you please explain?"

"Of course, forgive me Mademoiselle. As you know, these are troubling times with the royal family being forced to move from the Palace of Versailles to the Tuileries. His Highness is finally set to move and will be needing the help of some trustworthy servants for it to succeed." The Chevalier explained. "It is my understanding that you played Madame Antoinette's double before. For the King's plan to succeed the servants must play convincing aristocrats."

Astrid's eyes narrowed and she pursed her lips. King Louis had been incredibly indecisive about what to do when the Revolutionaries started voicing their opinions and pressuring him. While she worked in the palace, she was still paid minimum wage which barely kept her clothed. Yet not obeying the King's orders was considered high treason. Astrid certainly didn't want to get caught in one of these hairbrained schemes and thought she might be able to slip away before things went south. "Whatever my king asks I shall happily comply." Astrid told the Chevalier while giving a slight curtsy.

"Wonderful Mademoiselle. I shall inform the Madame that you will accompany us later tonight." Astrid let out a heavy breath as the Chevalier left the room. She looked at the rag that was still clenched in her hand and then back to the drawingroom she was supposed to clean. When she had gotten this job she was happy that it might improve her living conditions, having climbed up from the impoverished people to a palace maid was about as high as her social status would take her. Yet nothing improved much under the aristocracy. Her parents died when they couldn't afford a doctor, her younger brother died on the battlefield of the various wars the King instigated around Europe. If she made a run for it now she would be charged with treason, if she made a run for it while on the road with the royal family she might have a chance to find people that would hide her. It was with that plan in mind that Astrid went back to work, hoping that she could escape this country that was slowly going under.

'This is ridiculous.' Astrid thought as she had been escorted into a gilded carriage with other servants that had been dressed up as Royals. King Louis himself was disguised as a footman while the queen played the governess. They had left in the dead of night for the journey to Montmédy.

"Where do you think we are Mademoiselle?" Astrid asked the lady sitting next to her. She recognized her as dauphin's governess, now dressed in finery, pretending to be a Russian baroness.