OCs (and my small experience)

Hey guys!

Yesterday I talked about the books that I wrote and mark me the most, and by talking about them, I told you about OCs (even if it was more like a mention), so I decided to today talk about it.

In case you haven't read my books, I almost never have an OC in them so in case you think I'm going to give some advice, I'm sorry but I'm not the right person to give advices about this.

🚨 Important warning 🚨
Also I'm going to talk about OCs that I made in the Salvatore Boarding School (book 1 and 2) and there will be spoilers so in case you want to read the story now without the spoilers you've been warned.
🚨 End of warning 🚨

I understand if you don't want to stay to read the rest of you don't even know the characters and because I don't have much experience but you're more than welcome to read the rest of my rant.

Anyway, I barely wrote characters that never had appeared in the TVD/TO universe because I am very aware that making an OC is very hard, I mean I find it hard sometimes to write about some characters and I know their background so you must imagine how I think about making OCs where it's up to the writer to make the background story about them, the names and the relationships they have with the other characters. Because the reader hasn't seen the character(s) in the show(s) it's up to the writer to write the character in a special way so the reader could see their personality and so it can like (or not) the character, and even if the writer is also careful with the way she/he write the other characters, the reader as already an idea of the character and likes (or not) that character/those characters.

There was a few times that I write a character for my book and could appear in one or two chapters or maybe more but I never truly consider them OCs bc even if I made them up, they didn't had background story and they wouldn't be the main characters, they would be more like guests in the story.

Then I had the idea of the Salvatore Boarding School so I would challenge myself to write more about characters that I wasn't so used to, aka the Saltzman sisters and Hope Mikaelson. Yes, they are from TVD/TO universe and we did saw them but I didn't knew how they would be as teenagers (I wrote the book after ending TVD and I'm not sure if TO s4 had started but if it was, it was before the appearance of Alaric Saltzman in the show), so even if I (the writer) and you (the reader) knew a little about them, there was still many things missing, like how they would be and how would be their relationships with family/friends, those things might seem little but they weren't, I wasn't used to make all this decisions about a character, but getting out of your comfort zone can be a good thing and we never know what could be the outcome... Because I wasn't used to it, sometimes I found myself writing more about Klaroline and I had to make an effort to write also about other characters. Then there was also a few characters who never had appear on the TVD/TO universe aka Bryan, Dylan, Jason and (without planning) Kate. Those characters appeared a few times in the beginning because I wasn't sure how they would come out. It was the first time I was writing more about characters that were just in my books so I was kinda nervous and afraid how they would end up...

I'm going to talk about the characters (the OCs, Saltzman girls and Hope Mikaelson) one by one so you would have an idea how I come up with them (and also bc if I don't do this like a list, I'm afraid I won't say all that I would like to and maybe even forget to mention a character bc that how distracted I am). So... Here we go:

• Hope Mikaelson - I had many plans to this character but I ended up by not doing everything I wanted with this character bc there was a point in the story where I felt that was more the story guiding me than the other way around and I found myself curious to know what would happen next even if I was the writer. In my book I wanted Klaus to come back to Mystic Falls so I made Hope get in a fight in the school and I planned on making her deal with her anger and all that but then there was so many characters that I was afraid to focus just on Hope. But I did tried to write her a storyline and to try to write her relationship with Klaus as best as I could bc Klope is just so freakin cute! I did try to show the reader how was her relationships with other characters, focusing more on the close bond she had with Caroline and her friendship with Lizzie and Josie.