8

This is the longest chapter to date(!)
I love you guys <3
Hope you enjoy !

Rachel

My head hung down, and held my knees to my chest. My head was aching, and I felt sick. I guess it was not knowing when we'd get another shot, not knowing when they'd even come and try to take more of us. All I knew was that we'd have to fight, and that I had to keep Milo and Ricky alive. That was all that mattered. But in the moment, everything felt so fucking heavy and intense.

I heard footsteps approaching me- Ricky, I could tell by the sound and weight of his walk. I didn't want to talk, to anyone. I was trying to figure out how we'd get out of this.. He sat next to me and leaned close, so only I could hear, "We have to wait this out."

My brows furrowed against my arms and I shook my head, "They took their people. Who knows when they'll be back to take more of-"

I felt him shake his head, "You have to stop." I brought my head up and met his warm yet stern eyes. He paused for a moment, then promised, "We're waiting this out. I'm getting us out, okay?"

I trusted his certainty. I was grateful for it. He wouldn't let up. He was right. I had to stop. I nodded and he gave me a weak smile. He looked over towards Milo and I followed. Milo was talking to the blonde guy. His shoulders were tense. I knew his body was stressing. He didn't deserve this.

Ricky nudged me with his elbow and I brought my attention back to him. His face shifted, and his eyes grew more heavy, "I'm sorry Rachel."

I frowned but he continued before I could question him, "I shut down. I made it about me- I"

I wasn't mad at him for how he was the past couple of days. I couldn't blame him; I understood. I shook my head, "Ricky, it was.. time. We lost so much. And that was it; that's okay."

He only shook his head, "I'm just sorry. You and Mi- I should've been there for you guys."

I leaned back and rested my head against the wall of the freight car, "You're here now.." There was a long pause between the both of us. We both went back to watching Milo. After about a minute, he spoke softly while staring ahead, "I promised Jules. I told him I'd take care of you two.."

I turned and watched my brother carefully, and he looked to me, his eyes were so heavy, but strong. His strength, it got us this far. Ricky did that.. He continued, "I won't shut you guys out again. I'm gonna get us out of this, I promise Rachel.."

My eyes burned. I quickly dipped my head down and roughly ran my hands over my face. I nodded and looked back to him. He wrapped his arm around me and I rested my head on his shoulder. He leaned his head against mine and whispered, "Just gotta wait it out."

————————

I pounded on the wall, over and over. They took him. They took Ricky. And they took three others. My fists slammed into the wall, I was screaming, yelling for Ricky, for them to let us out. I was angry; I was terrified. The two others they took, never came back.. But Ricky- he couldn't be gone. I couldn't lose him. I wouldn't be able to take it. They took him. I slammed my fist against the door in complete and utter defeat and gasped. My eyes watered and my head leaned forward and rested against the cold steel. Ricky promised he'd get us out. And know I didn't know what to do. He-

I felt someone grab my arm. I hesitated. I almost forgot I wasn't alone. I lifted my head and turned around. Milo. Milo stared at me with so much fear. His breathing was sharp and short. His hand that latched onto my arm was trembling. He was holding himself back. I knew my boy.. I wiped my eyes with my sleeve and stared back. He clenched his teeth and let out a light gasp, "What do we do? Mom, What do we do- they, we have to get out. We-"