21

Daryl

The rest of winter break flew by. School was school but I was with Rachel so it was all good besides the frequent small altercations with Matthew. Work picked up too, which meant more savings but less time with Rachel after school.

I was stayin' the night pretty much every night. It was nice just being close to her. Even though I haven't been sleeping much.

I never said anything about not sleeping much. I'd just pretend to fall asleep until I knew she was. Honestly I's just paranoid bout' getting nightmares around her. I didn't want to worry her.

I'd be heading over to see her after work. I'd been counting down the minutes, wanting to just get to her already.

When I clocked off, I ran home to get cleaned up. Her family was makin' homemade pizza and I was invited. I was to call her to come and pick me up once I was ready. The sun was setting when I got to my house; my dad was on the front porch.

He sat there sitting up against the front door, with a cigarette in one hand, and his bottle of whisky in the other. My heart stopped for a sec and tension instantly found its way to my shoulders.

I stopped in my tracks and watched him take a swig from the bottle. As the anxiety sank in, I began to bit on my thumb before deciding to try and walk up to the house like it was nothin'.

My head shot down as I approached him and I could hear the intoxication in the way his feet struggled to get him up and steady. My heart and ears were pounding, but I kept walking, just hoping that he'd let me walk on in.

He grabbed onto the wall for support and slurred, "Hey b-boy, getcher ass on inside and- we gotta talk 'bout shit."

I glanced toward him but avoided eye contact. I nodded and opened the door for me to follow him inside. The house was dark, the only light was from the fading sky through the kitchen window. I turned around to close the door behind me. My senses spiked and my hand remained on the door knob, I felt my dad's energy. He was only a couple feet behind me and his stare burned through my back.

"Daryl." His voice was harsh and cold. I turned towards him and tried to control my breathin'. I glanced over to the phone, Rachel would be expecting me soon, but I knew I wouldn't be making that call. I turned my focus back to my dad. He was tense, fuming off anger for who knows what. I just stared him down waiting for the reaction the tension was building to.

"C'mere Daryl." He uttered through his teeth.

I shook my head, "I gotta wash up, I'm going out tonight."

He laughed and starred with hateful eyes. "The hell you aren't." He started to take a step towards me and I backed up until I was up against the door.

"Why ya backin' up for Daryl? Y'little bitch!" he threw the bottle and I flinched. It hit not even an inch away from my head. It exploded and suddenly I felt a sharp burning sensation at my temple and the top of my cheek and eye. I gasped and reached for my face.

Before I could even process that I was hit by the bottle, his arms yanked me away from the door and he forced me down to the ground like a rag doll. He shoved me to the floor when a piercing pain went through my back. I yelled out, gasping in pain. I couldn't make out what he was saying, I couldn't focus. I felt sick, I was dizzy, but I knew he was still screamin'- cursing at my face. I couldn't breathe or answer to whatever he was saying. I couldn't move, though my body was desperately telling me too. His weight put pressure onto me and my back sunk deeper into the ground, the pain skyrocketing. I was gasping for air, crying for him to stop.

Every time I tried opening my eye, tears and blood kept me from being able to see what was happening. I felt a solid blow to my face, hitting the side that was already cut and bleeding. He grabbed my hair and forced my upper body up. I tried to block with my arms but he socked me again. I cried out to him, sobbing, gasping for air, tears, blood and snot smeared over my face. My back stung, I knew there were pieces of glass stuck in my skin. But he kept going.

He grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me up to my feet, screaming something about me being a piece of shit and pushed me until my back hit the counter. I grunted as I hit it, the force pushed a piece of the glass deeper into my lower right side. I couldn't take much more. Everything was spinning, my body felt like it was screaming in agony and my head was pounding. I felt his hands on me once more and I took another blow to the head. I couldn't feel much after that but the I was hit with the sensation of falling.

I fell, I fell for a long time. I waited to feel myself hit the ground but it never came. I suddenly felt the fear I'd feel in my dreams about my mom. I was stuck, falling, running nowhere. It didn't stop and I fell feeling hopeless and gone. Until everything was dark- Nothingness.

I woke up to a sharp pulling on the side of my back. It took a second to get my eyes to open and focus when I felt another sharp pull. I flinched and let out a light gasp. I was suddenly hit with a horrible burning sensation on my entire right side of my back. As I flinched, a familiar calming hand grasped my arm, letting me know it was gonna be alright.

I let out a shaky sigh after feeling her touch. Why was I on the floor?

When the whole thing came back to me with a flash, I started to cry. I hated and cursed myself for doing it, especially in front of her, but I couldn't keep it in this time. Her hand ran up and down my arm and she spoke with a hushed soothing tone. "Shh, I know.. You'll be alright.. but I have to help you right now. Okay? You have to let me help you."

I nodded, not being able to speak or look up at her. I kept my eyes closed as I continued to cry silently. And despite having to gasp for short breaths in between, and having shards of glass in my back, I felt safe knowing she was there. I let her help me.

Hey everyone. Sorry for the lag. I just couldn't write anything until last night. I do have the rest of the story planned out and I hope you enjoy and tag along for the rest of it. A few of you have asked, yes this is Book 1 and there will be a 2nd book, which will pick up with the show. Anyways, thank you guys so much!! 1K READS!!!! It's crazy, and I'm so happy to know that you guys love and enjoy this story. Love you all <3