19

Daryl

It was Christmas Eve. Rachel was off at her Grandpas house and I was here. In the truck with my dad, and the guys. I hated being away from her, and we weren't coming back until Friday, almost a whole week from now. I sat in the back of the truck with Jess while Buck and my dad kept on talking. Jess was snoring away. I was zoning out until we hit a bump in the road. Jess snapped awake while they kept on talking ahead.

"Women these days just easy, they just wanna fuck around and take yer money and the leave as soon as they find another."

I snorted at Buck's comment.

"I'm sorry I don't remember you bein' apart of this conversation."

"Woah there Buck, might hurt ya self using them big words." Jess uttered, his eyes stilled closed as he his head rested against the window.

"Fuck off Jess, Daryl here thinks it's a fucking joke. But listen here boy, all women are nasty bitches Dare, ya hear? None of em are good, they jus' sleep around for money n' drugs."

I looked over to my dad and he kept silent, staring out at the road.

I shook my head. "Probably seems so when ya only going after gross-ass whores huh Buck?"

"The fucks yer deal? Huh?" Buck spat.

"Jus' leave him Buck, he's only pissy cause he ain't spending the holiday with his girl." I glared at my dad. Talkin' like he knew me.

"Wha- Daryl's got himself a girl?"

"Uh-huh. Now this girl here has him all soft, but she keeps him outta trouble and she smart an' tough as hell, so I respect her. Maybe she can teach him somethin' ya know?" My dad chuckled. I rolled my eyes and took my Walkman outta my bag. I didn't have to hear their shit.

"Well damn Dare! Almost thought you were a queer for a sec!" He wheezed out a laugh and I scoffed as I hooked up my headphones to the player.
"She make a man outta you yet huh? How she put out?"

"Christ Buck! Leave em alone for fuck sake. We don't need ya gettin' off on a 18 year old's sex life." Jess scolded.

I snorted again, and Buck grumbled. "Fuck you Jess, yer the only one who's been with a decent kinda girl."

"Yeah, maybe cause I have some type of class, now shut up n' keep yer damn eyes on the road."

I smirked and grabbed the new mixtape I got from Rache before I left. Said it was a Christmas gift for the road.

Jess leaned in to see what I was listening to. He softly laughed and whispered, "That mixtape kinda love.. Daryl, don't lettem' get to ya... she a nice girl?"

I couldn't help the smile that found its way to my face at the thought of her. "Yeah.."

Jess smiled. "What'a her name?

"Rachel."

"Rachel? Your kid friend?" He sounded a bit surprised, they knew who she was.

"Mhm."

"Shit that's cool. She real good to you?"

"Yeah, kinda crazy, her being with me and all.."

"Nah not really.. you're a good man. She's lucky to have ya." Jess's words hit me. I never considered the thought of me being good. I always felt lucky to have her.. and I was. It felt good hearing what he said. I suddenly felt vulnerable about the whole conversation despite Jess being cool with me.